Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

what did you bring with to court?!

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 3:21 PM
  • 21 Replies

We are attempting to get custody of 3 yr old sd.  mom is on drugs, sd has been molested.  we requested social service reports that we have filed over the last couple years, social services did not put in their reports "sd stated boyfriend touched her"  "sd states mom locks her in her room" ect....they put that we CLAIMED bm boyfriend is molesting child.  its going to ruin our entire case.  what other types of records or things did you bring to court?!

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 3:54 PM
2 moms liked this
Did they find that the boyfriend had molested her? Or was it just a claim that was unfounded? Because unless there was a finding, there won't be much you can do about the report and what it states.

I brought email conversations, my journal of documentation. None of it was seen by the judge. In fact, none of our evidence was seen by the judge. I also brought my lawyer - he made sure that anything that needed to be heard was heard by the judge.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wicked.Jester
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 3:56 PM

If she was molested, do you have doctor reports or a psych evaluation?

Eternity807
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

DH brought his lawyer.  That was all that was necessary.  Make sure you have a good lawyer because as nice as documentation and journals are, they generally aren't seen by the judge and don't get you far in the grand scheme of things unless you're showing contempt.

HopesNDreams
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I brought a book to read. CPS will bring their findings, if any. SM's aren't consulted and spend a lot of time sitting alone waiting.
DesertFlower197
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 5:31 PM

The findings have to be posted as "Exhibits" in your responses or motions to the judge. They are usually due 20 days before the hearing so judge has time to review the documents, at least in my state.  A copy of the documents need to be provided to the other party as well.

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 5:37 PM

You bring proof with you. Anything that can PROVE your case. Medical records showing the child has been molested. Police reports of BM's boyfriend being arrested for molesting the child, police reports of BM being arrested for her drug use. CPS reports with their findings clearly documented.

stashia
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:30 AM

the problem is cps has not done their job.  we called and made complaints every time sd talked about being molested or came with a severe injury.  we have a very good doctors note about the molestation, but cps threw out the doctors note and told the police station they found nothing in their investigation.  the case was closed, the boyfriend went free and bm still takes sd to see him.  we brought sd in for a burn on her hand and for a rash on her bottom, the doctor ONLY charted on her rash stating it was "diaper rash" and a prescription was given.  she completely left out the bad burn that she stated "did not look accidental".  bm overdosed on drugs this summer.  although she admitted to my husband she was addicted to pills and alcohol, she told the hospital it was a suicide attempt.  even with her long history of meth abuse, the police have done nothing.  our lawyer says he can not get copies of her treatment records to find out what she has tested positive for.  an entire system failing a child

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

You bring proof with you. Anything that can PROVE your case. Medical records showing the child has been molested. Police reports of BM's boyfriend being arrested for molesting the child, police reports of BM being arrested for her drug use. CPS reports with their findings clearly documented.

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:46 PM

My cousin was drinking and taking xanax (this is also on top of her history of meth and heroin addiction), the police were called on her, when they showed up they automatically took her daughter into custody. The following morning CPS was involved in the case. She hasn't had custody of her daughter since. At the time her daughter was 9 months old, she just turned 4 last week.

Quoting stashia:

the problem is cps has not done their job.  we called and made complaints every time sd talked about being molested or came with a severe injury.  we have a very good doctors note about the molestation, but cps threw out the doctors note and told the police station they found nothing in their investigation.  the case was closed, the boyfriend went free and bm still takes sd to see him.  we brought sd in for a burn on her hand and for a rash on her bottom, the doctor ONLY charted on her rash stating it was "diaper rash" and a prescription was given.  she completely left out the bad burn that she stated "did not look accidental".  bm overdosed on drugs this summer.  although she admitted to my husband she was addicted to pills and alcohol, she told the hospital it was a suicide attempt.  even with her long history of meth abuse, the police have done nothing.  our lawyer says he can not get copies of her treatment records to find out what she has tested positive for.  an entire system failing a child

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

Tx_stepmom
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Bring anything and everything you have.  Emails, text, etc....When we sued BM for custody, I had a "novel" on her.  We documented everything.  We didn't have to use it though.  She caved as soon as she was served papers and gave physical custody of SS over to us.  We didn't trust her though.  I had done so much background on her, our lawyer's assistant said that I should have been a PI.  I didn't want BM to beat the system, (like she had done in the past), and screw DH over.  I was ready to fight for SS.  Do what you have to legally.  Good luck! 

lnr187
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

that's how they're always worded. the report is what they heard from others. then it says if it was founded or not. if it's founded, then your 'claims' are true. bring them with you. ask you lawyer if you need more proof. they can subpeona the caseworker id needed.

we bring all of our documentation of conversations and things we've seen, pictures, dr notes, research we had done about some issues... that sort of stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)