Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

DInner time trouble

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:02 PM
  • 49 Replies

SD 9 is the pickiest child I have ever met!

She refuses to eat fruits, veggies, or any kind of meat.

The meat thing isn't because she is a vegetarian, sometimes she will eat a burger, the next day she will refuse. It all depends on her mood.

She LIVES on carbs and salt!!!!!

We have spaghetti, she only eats the noodles, drenched in butter of course.

If this girl could live on Ramen she would, and I have informed her and DH over and over it is not healthy.

She is 15lbs overweight already, but BM and DH still somehow think of her as a skinny little bean pole.

My rule with my 3 is no desert unless you eat all of your dinner.

She refuses to eat any protein or veggies on her plate then DH will give her double dessert "Honey, she is still hungry, she cant go to bed hungry"

I get upset saying that she ate this food last week, how can she get away with refusing it this week, and he claims it is how it is presented to her, and can't I just lay off.

Gonna blow my top

by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tx_stepmom
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:11 PM

She's playing everyone.  SS did this.  He was overweight and played these games.  When we gained custody of SS he went through junkfood detox.  BM let him eat whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted which was fastfood or junkfood 24/7.  If it wasn't covered in salt or chocolate, he didn't want it.  We just didn't make those types of food available.  SS had to learn what a balanced diet was.  BM never taught him what was healthy.  Now, 2 years later, he makes wiser decisions.  Instead of grabbing a soda when he's thirsty, he immediately grabs a bottle of water.  He loves veggies and salads.  It's what you make available to them.  

etherealmama
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM

the trouble though is Daddy always gives in. She has DH wrapped so tight around her little finger. when she is here, DH is her puppet!

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM
3 moms liked this

My advice is, separate yourself entirely from the eating issue. She is your husband's daughter, let him worry about what she eats. This is just a waste of energy, for you to worry about this.

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:23 PM
2 moms liked this

This seems to be the real issue. Jealousy or some sense of competition with your SD?

Quoting etherealmama:

the trouble though is Daddy always gives in. She has DH wrapped so tight around her little finger. when she is here, DH is her puppet!

etherealmama
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

The issue isnt that I am jealous, it is that she behaves horribly, treats me like garbage, never has consequences for her actions, in fact is rewarded for them.

refuses to eat dinner, and is rewarded for it with double dessert, while the other children that ate and always eat are just expected to, because DH feels bad that she is still hungry!

it is like this in all aspect! She misbehaves, and gets bought a present, because maybe if she is given whatever she wants she will be nicer......

It doesnt work this way with the other 4 kids

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:37 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't consider refusing to eat dinner as "misbehaving."

If you are talking about her misbehaving and her father allowing bad behavior, that's different.

It seems your husband has a different parenting style from you.

Quoting etherealmama:

The issue isnt that I am jealous, it is that she behaves horribly, treats me like garbage, never has consequences for her actions, in fact is rewarded for them.

refuses to eat dinner, and is rewarded for it with double dessert, while the other children that ate and always eat are just expected to, because DH feels bad that she is still hungry!

it is like this in all aspect! She misbehaves, and gets bought a present, because maybe if she is given whatever she wants she will be nicer......

It doesnt work this way with the other 4 kids

KatLee42513
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:40 PM
2 moms liked this
Why is butter available during a spaghetti meal? In our home you eat what's on the table and if you choose not to then you go to bed hungry. We don't cater to anyone.
etherealmama
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I do consider adimantly refusing to eat anything but dessert a misbehavoir.

My DD 5 cant even be overtired without him punishing her, yet SD is can refuse meals, treat siblings horribly, talk back to us, basically anything she wants and is rewarded.

Not in any way saying DD 5 is perfect, far from it, but she has  consequences for her actions, SD never does.

sandeeyo
by Le Bonjour Chat on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd just let DH feed her whatever she wants to eat if that's how it's going to be.  Ignore it.

You're just banging your head up against the wall as far as I'm concerned and it's getting you no where.

etherealmama
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I don't make it available, DH does, or she just takes it.

Spaghetti night or pizza night is the only time she eats dinner.

and of course the spaghetti is swimming in butter.

all the other kids have to follow, you eat what we made or dont eat, but not SD, she gets whatever she wants.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)