Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Sms- Do you correct people when they call you mom??

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:19 AM
  • 81 Replies
Just wondering... I made a post with a pic of ss and dd in mc, and most replies mentioned a resemblance between them.

When we're out, people often stop Dh and I and ask if the kiddos are twins. Instead of giving some random lady at the grocery store the whole story, we usually just say "the boy's older" and go about our day.
What do you ladies do in that situation?
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

sometimes I correct people. It depends on the situation. most times I don't find it worth the time to correct strangers.

soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:29 AM

As a mom who went through this (DS half sister is 3 months younger than him). Ex and SM would pass them off as twins or allow people to assume. I guess in the big picture it isn't that big of a deal but when I heard about it it would really freaking piss me off. I never understood why it was so hard to say oh no they are half siblings or something. It was just another way for them to attempt to erase me from my child's life. I'm not saying thats what you are doing but that is what it was about with them.

dawnnamarie
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM
2 moms liked this
That's what we were thinking. Especially if its when I'm waiting in line or something.

With ss's school, doctors, etc. I ALWAYS make sure to correct them and make sure they know I'm sm . We fought his preschool teacher the entire school year last year, because she always called me mom. She still does, even after being corrected 103739 times...

Quoting Polkadotted:

sometimes I correct people. It depends on the situation. most times I don't find it worth the time to correct strangers.

dawnnamarie
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:33 AM
And that's why I'm curious. We don't want to give off the wrong impression or hurt bm in any way. Ss sometimes says, "people think we're the same age but I'm older!"

I don't want him to say something to mom and it start a war or anything.

Quoting soonergirl980:

As a mom who went through this (DS half sister is 3 months younger than him). Ex and SM would pass them off as twins or allow people to assume. I guess in the big picture it isn't that big of a deal but when I heard about it it would really freaking piss me off. I never understood why it was so hard to say oh no they are half siblings or something. It was just another way for them to attempt to erase me from my child's life. I'm not saying thats what you are doing but that is what it was about with them.

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:40 AM

People who live together or spend a lot of time around each other, especially children, often begin to resemble each other.

I don't think I would correct anyone who said my kids/stepkids resembled each other.

soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's something people just say. I don't know how many times I've heard DS looks just like DH and he doesn't even remotely resemble him lol.

Quoting whatIknownow:

People who live together or spend a lot of time around each other, especially children, often begin to resemble each other.

I don't think I would correct anyone who said my kids/stepkids resembled each other.

dawnnamarie
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM
It also doesn't help that ss and dd are only 14 months apart. So they're already pretty dang close to the same size. Ill post a pic really quick.
I just didn't want to purposely mislead anyone, ya know?

Quoting whatIknownow:

dawnnamarie
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Mobile Photo

These are my sweeties
whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM

You're probably right. Maybe it's sort of a social convention to say "he looks like you" or something similar. In that case they are just trying to be polite.

Quoting soonergirl980:

I think it's something people just say. I don't know how many times I've heard DS looks just like DH and he doesn't even remotely resemble him lol.

Quoting whatIknownow:

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM

They do resemble each other. They look like brother and sister.

Quoting dawnnamarie:

Mobile Photo

These are my sweeties

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)