Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We didn't think it was fair..so we're doing something about it!

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM
  • 23 Replies
1 mom liked this

When we moved into our bigger apartment (from 2br/1 bath to 3br/1.5 bath) it was so the girls could each have their own room. We told them about it. It really only registered with SD (4) and she got very excited at the prospect of having her own room. But about a month after we moved, I found out I'm pregnant. We figured the thing that made most sense was to have SD and DD continue to share the larger of the 2 rooms and put the baby in the smaller, middle room. We told SD and she was less than thrilled.

But the more we think about it, the less fair we think it is. Now, it won't kill kids to share a room. SD and DD are used to it by now. But of all the things SD has gone through this year I think making her give up having her very own space is neither kind or wise. So, DH and I talked today and decided that we will give SD the middle room and put DD (2) and the new baby in together. 

We think this will work out ok because SD gets up at least once but sometimes as many as 3 times in a night. She's a very light sleeper. But she's not quiet when she gets up. DD is never bothered by her and will go back to sleep without a fight if she even wakes up at all. DD is a VERY good sleeper. Has been since dang near birth. So we think that a baby probably won't be any more intrusive on her sleep than SD is.

BUT, in case we're wrong and we have a colicky baby..we will move the baby into our room until he/she sleeps through the night better. Once the baby gets a little bigger we'll look for a house that can better accomodate us. 

We're not going to tell SD until the room is ready to be moved into. When we moved in we made it a catch all for the boxes we didn't need to unpack immediately. Which is making it a HUGE chore now. We're going to wait until the new bed we ordered comes in and let SD pick out her bedset and curtains and stuff.

I can't wait for her to see it!! I know she is going to be so thrilled that she really is getting her very own room. :)

Just wanted to share.

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sterlingsmom04
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Sounds like you an awesome stepmom.......keep up the good work
amanda_mom89
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Thank you. Things have been kind of rough lately. We're adjusting to DH being CP and SD has some days where she is very sensitive to the change. We just want to make it easier on her.

Quoting sterlingsmom04:

Sounds like you an awesome stepmom.......keep up the good work

amanda_mom89
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Bump!
amanda_mom89
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Bump!
soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I think this is an excellent decision.

We went through something similar with our DD's. DH deployed when I was a few months pregnant so the kids already had that to deal with and on top of the I was going through a brutal pregnancy that ended with me in the hospital for a good chunk of my 3rd trimester and on bed rest for part of my 2nd and the rest of the 3rd. Needless to say that was a lot for them. Then we found out YDD was a girl. Now DD was 4 at this time and because we never planned for anymore she was always our princess. Very much THE little girl on top of being the baby in our family. So finding out not only was her position of being the "baby" being usurped so was her position of being the girl it was rough obviously she couldn't express that is what the problem was but she certainly knew she didn't like it. Then we were in a 3 bedroom because that was what we qualified for (military housing goes by amount, age, and sex of the dependents) so she was going to have to share as well. Talk about a complete and utter melt down lol. So we decided baby would stay with me until we could get into a 4 bedroom. We moved when YDD was 7 month old and DH had been home for a month. So many changes in ODD life we decided against changing the one we had control over.

amanda_mom89
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Thank you :)

We're hoping that giving her her own place she can escape to and keep big girl things (like crayons lol) out of little sisters reach will help her adjust to this being her primary home more smoothly.

Quoting soonergirl980:

We went through something similar with our DD's. DH deployed when I was a few months pregnant so the kids already had that to deal with and on top of the I was going through a brutal pregnancy that ended with me in the hospital for a good chunk of my 3rd trimester and on bed rest for part of my 2nd and the rest of the 3rd. Needless to say that was a lot for them. Then we found out YDD was a girl. Now DD was 4 at this time and because we never planned for anymore she was always our princess. Very much THE little girl on top of being the baby in our family. So finding out not only was her position of being the "baby" being usurped so was her position of being the girl it was rough obviously she couldn't express that is what the problem was but she certainly knew she didn't like it. Then we were in a 3 bedroom because that was what we qualified for (military housing goes by amount, age, and sex of the dependents) so she was going to have to share as well. Talk about a complete and utter melt down lol. So we decided baby would stay with me until we could get into a 4 bedroom. We moved when YDD was 7 month old and DH had been home for a month. So many changes in ODD life we decided against changing the one we had control over.

amanda_mom89
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Oh that sounds rough! Yes exactly. Although SD and DD have always shared a room, she is really needing her own space. She and DD are polar opposites with SD having some OCD type tendencies. Needless to say, DD drives her nuts because she's 2 and doesn't care about a freshly made bed or to refrain from pulling all the books off the shelf.

So this will be a change.. But I think a good one.

Quoting soonergirl980:

amanda_mom89
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:35 PM
It's a positive post so I'm gonna Bump it one last time :)
looneytunes290
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM
I think it's a good move!:)
TJandKarasMom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 4:03 PM
I think it's great that you are doing it this way! And little ones can share a room just fine, and you might keep the baby in your room for a bit at first anyway (I thought that was easier when I had to feed an infant all hours of the night, lol). And since DD doesn't seem to care and SD does, then I think you made a good decision.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured