Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

text message monitoring

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:45 AM
  • 40 Replies
DH wants to monitor SD16's text messages- is there an app for that? We know "who" she is texting (see previous restraining order post for details-im mobile and can't retype all that), and can see how many txt they are exchanging but DH wants to know the content. Its to the point its a mental safety issue. Anyone know of an app? And if so does it notify the "sender or receiver"? Thanks I aint too sure bout this, but this is DH's call I'm just the information getter....
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Wish I could help more. I know there is one, but not sure of the name. It notifies by e-mail when a text is sent or received, but not sure if it shows the actual message.

Wicked.Jester
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM
5 moms liked this

Why doesn't he just take her phone and read them?  He is the adult in the house....and if he is paying for the phone, its HIS phone.

I always told my kids that the phones they had were MY phones, and I could check anything I wanted at any time.

And if she is texting someone she shouldn't, the phone should already be taken away.  Why does she have it?

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:51 AM

The CO states that BM is to provide cell phones for both boys and they live with us.  Do you think DH would still have the right to take the phone and read it'?

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

Why doesn't he just take her phone and read them?  He is the adult in the house....and if he is paying for the phone, its HIS phone.

I always told my kids that the phones they had were MY phones, and I could check anything I wanted at any time.

And if she is texting someone she shouldn't, the phone should already be taken away.  Why does she have it?

Wicked.Jester
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, he is the adult.  He is the birth father.  So the BM has to provide them, great, whether or not they get used when he is watching her is up to him.

Since when do people let their kids run the show?

Quoting WifeyC:

The CO states that BM is to provide cell phones for both boys and they live with us.  Do you think DH would still have the right to take the phone and read it'?

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

DLMsMommy
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:56 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't know about an app but a friend of mine who has teenagers (4 boys 13-18) has a rule that all electronics are turned in to mom before bedtime... phones, laptops, I pods, etc... and if anything has been deleted they lose privileges to those items. It works well for them!
D-Town
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:58 AM
There are apps that will send all text messages (in and out) to another phone as well. So if your SD gets a message. Not only will it go to her phone but to yours as well. iPhones this is built in with the Apple ID and phone number. Android phones I would have to look up how to do it.

But I also agree with PP's. As the adult just take it.
DDDaysh
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I agree that a parent should be allowed to confiscate the phone and read all messages WITH THE EXCEPTION of messages to the other parent.  Parent to child communication should not be monitored except where there is clear indication of impending harm or a court order that says such interactions should be monitored (i.e. supervised visitation, etc). 

However, if I remember correctly, the BM of this child is not active.  The texts they are talking about are to the girl's adult infatuation. 

OP - Frankly, why does your DH allow her to continue to have the cell phone she has?  Why not get her a different phone where he can restrict the numbers she has access to and block the guy out?

Quoting WifeyC:

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:01 PM

DH has no shame in taking the phone or logging into their social media accounts.  I do the same for my son.  I was just asking you a question.

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

Yes, he is the adult.  He is the birth father.  So the BM has to provide them, great, whether or not they get used when he is watching her is up to him.

Quoting WifeyC:

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

Wicked.Jester
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Well you asked about RIGHTS.  I have the RIGHT to check anything I want to for my minor child, period.

I would never question otherwise.

Quoting WifeyC:

DH has no shame in taking the phone or logging into their social media accounts.  I do the same for my son.  I was just asking you a question.

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

Quoting WifeyC:

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

mistyann00
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Pending on the phone I know there is something I seen on the airline when I was traveling that you can just plug this device into it and it will retreive any and all text messages that were deleted and sent. Gosh I wish I still had it let me do some digging.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)