Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

My DS wants to start bringing his lunch to school. Need lunch ideas.

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:30 AM
  • 16 Replies

He is in Kindergarten.

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:35 AM

You might check to see what restrictions they have.  A lot of schools now won't allow peanut butter or any kind of nuts due to other students' food allergies (or the potential for).

I would include DS in choosing what he wants to take.  Things like baby carrots, raisins, fruit, etc are good and don't require refrigeration. If you can refrigerate, string cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, hard boiled egg (peeled in advance) can be nice.  Then the usual sandwhich.  PBJ or PB and Honey would be my faves, but as I said, we're not allowed to send PB to school anymore in our school district.

JustaSM231
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Cheese and lunch meat and crackers like lunchables. Wraps with lunch meats. Sandwiches. Apples cut up, oranges cut up, carrots and celery with peanut butter or ranch dressing, pretzels, baked chips and baked crackers.
jules2boys
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Ask him what he'd like to bring and then go from there. 

ODS buys his lunch, YDS takes his.  YDS takes nutella sandwiches (2 halves) with a fruit (banana, grapes, apple slices, etc.) or veggie (carrot sticks or sometimes he'll ask for frozen peas/corn (they'll thaw before lunch but he'll just munch on them).  He's not a big lunch eater so he doesn't take much.  I used to send him with a juice but now he just prefers water (he can keep the water bottle in class with him too).  I never did milk but when they started offering soy milk (what we drink at home) I'd let him just buy the drink there or take one from home if we remembered. 

Yogurt or string cheese with a freezer pack in the bag/box work well too. 

Pretzels or breadsticks or rolls work well as things to munch on for snack or during recess after lunch if he'd like. 

When I was growing up, I'd take a thermos with soup (I hate soup but that's what my mom would insist on at times) or canned meats (like ravioli or spaghetteos' or something) if not leftovers from last nights dinner (cold or warm spaghetti or even chicken and dumplings or something were good).  Neither of my boys ever liked that for lunch though. 

Living in CA, his school is pretty eclectic ethnically so kids bring just about anything for lunch (ours allows PB but those allergic have their own tables to sit at so the foods don't mix).  Some kids bring sushi for lunch or burritos or whatever it ethnically 'normal' for their lunches.  No fridge or microwave is available for the kids but they seem to make due pretty well anyway. 

DDDaysh
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Sometimes my aunt used to send my cousin with half a loaf of bread and a can of EZCheeze.  I wonder if that's what would be considered ethnically 'normal' for them....  lol.  

Quoting jules2boys:

Some kids bring sushi for lunch or burritos or whatever it ethnically 'normal' for their lunches.  No fridge or microwave is available for the kids but they seem to make due pretty well anyway.  

1SpaZZedMom
by Librarian on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I've seen so many lunchbox ideas on pinterest! A lot of them make use of empty lunchable containers. If you're on pinterest, search "lunchbox ideas".... ;)

"Challenging the meaning of life is the truest expression of the state of being human." ~Viktor Frankl~
luckystars2012
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Today dd took pbj, string cheese, a peach, and raisins. She gets milk at school.

Ss class had a pizza party so he ate that, but his lunch is usually similar to dds.
faerie75
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:32 PM

my ds15 takes the same thing every day. two ham and cheese sammiches w just mustard and one pbj with pb gooing out of it on whole wheat. lol (hes in varsity football and works out for hours after school daily)

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:27 AM
I LOVE Pinterest!!

Quoting 1SpaZZedMom:

I've seen so many lunchbox ideas on pinterest! A lot of them make use of empty lunchable containers. If you're on pinterest, search "lunchbox ideas".... ;)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lnr187
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:07 PM

usually ss gets a main dish (crackers/cheese/pepperoni, pbj, cold cut sandwich, or yogurt), a fruit, a veggie, and some other snack (string cheese, gold fish, sometimes chips or fruit snacks)

he wanted me to send him with leftovers (one day he brought leftover zuccini caserole that he LOVES) but he was picked on for it :( so now he doesn't want to anymore

runinpinkshoes
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:16 AM

We usually do: PBJ or turkey sandwich, fruit, pre-packaged chips or crackers, and cookies. They bring water bottles. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)