Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

honest question

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:49 PM
  • 23 Replies
It might come off as stupid but I gotta ask. I'm sure some of you know sd and I went to the eye dr yesterday. He gave her reading glasses. Said she only needed to wear them at school or doing homework. They glasses were cheap but I'm still very worried about them. I asked dh if he thought they should go to bms on her weekends. He is unsure too. We are worried they will get left there or she will want to play with them and end up being them. She mostly has trouble seeing things close up so I thought about asking the dr if we could buy her a cheap dollar store pair for moms weekends until we decide what to do with them. Please don't bash I want her to see at moms but she can see most things without glasses and seeing at school is more important. So much so that I don't want to risk her leaving them there and not going there again do for a few months.
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:14 PM

This is a hard one.

SD wears glasses, she has since she was 3. She has very bad vision (right now, with her contacts her visit is only about 20/30 in her right eye and 20/40 in her right eye), so she can't go without her glasses/contacts ever.

SD has never broken her glasses here, but she's had 4 pairs broken with BM. BM replaced them each time. Although, she has lost 2 pairs of contacts in the last year, thankfully our insurance just pays for more (the ones she gets can be used for 3 months, and our insurance will pay for up to 12 sets a year).

In your situation, I'd probably keep the glasses at home, at least until SD was better at being used to taking care of them and remember them. 

mamaBerg85
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:31 PM
That's what I'm thinking.

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

This is a hard one.

SD wears glasses, she has since she was 3. She has very bad vision (right now, with her contacts her visit is only about 20/30 in her right eye and 20/40 in her right eye), so she can't go without her glasses/contacts ever.

SD has never broken her glasses here, but she's had 4 pairs broken with BM. BM replaced them each time. Although, she has lost 2 pairs of contacts in the last year, thankfully our insurance just pays for more (the ones she gets can be used for 3 months, and our insurance will pay for up to 12 sets a year).

In your situation, I'd probably keep the glasses at home, at least until SD was better at being used to taking care of them and remember them. 

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:44 PM
How old is she? I had the same concern. I send my child with the most expensive removable appliances to a family who likes to watch me spend money over and over and over on things that they dispose of or 'lose' and never are seen again. They can't even return a pair of shorts. My dd has a $400 retainer. It's $400 because it's the second one she's had. It costs $200 to replace. And guess where it was on Sunday when she returned home? At their house!! I really did not think it would be returned but to my surprise - three days later it got dropped off. She's supposed to wear it at all times except when she is eating. So she went three days without it. She has $300 glasses that she is to wear at all times because she can't see far away. So far these have been returned because she's still excited about them and only takes them off to shower and sleep. It's a hard call. They need them but they aren't always easy to replace because of $$ and the other home may not be willing to help foot the bill to replace it. My ex won't help with the orthodontic work because he doesn't think it was necessary. He didn't get to pick the glasses so he won't help pay for them. So in his mind, they aren't his responsibility since he didn't get a say. Hard call. I send them but my daughter knows - next retainer is on her. Just like the lost iPhone was. That also disappeared into the black hole that is her fathers home. Glasses... I'll sue him over those.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaBerg85
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:16 AM
They don't cost me that much as I said $8 for two pairs after insurance but still there is no replacing either. I know her mom is going to expect a pair to use while there. I won't dare tell her we bought 2 pairs. Dh agreed. If we did that bm would say then she can keep a pair there. Which made me think of a cheap dollar store pair. I will sure ask the dr if this will be ok.

Quoting momof2ex1:

How old is she? I had the same concern. I send my child with the most expensive removable appliances to a family who likes to watch me spend money over and over and over on things that they dispose of or 'lose' and never are seen again. They can't even return a pair of shorts. My dd has a $400 retainer. It's $400 because it's the second one she's had. It costs $200 to replace. And guess where it was on Sunday when she returned home? At their house!! I really did not think it would be returned but to my surprise - three days later it got dropped off. She's supposed to wear it at all times except when she is eating. So she went three days without it. She has $300 glasses that she is to wear at all times because she can't see far away. So far these have been returned because she's still excited about them and only takes them off to shower and sleep. It's a hard call. They need them but they aren't always easy to replace because of $$ and the other home may not be willing to help foot the bill to replace it. My ex won't help with the orthodontic work because he doesn't think it was necessary. He didn't get to pick the glasses so he won't help pay for them. So in his mind, they aren't his responsibility since he didn't get a say. Hard call. I send them but my daughter knows - next retainer is on her. Just like the lost iPhone was. That also disappeared into the black hole that is her fathers home. Glasses... I'll sue him over those.

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:27 AM
I think that is a great idea. It's for reading. It's not like my dd where she can't see her feet! lol this is the worst part about being in our situations.

Quoting mamaBerg85:

They don't cost me that much as I said $8 for two pairs after insurance but still there is no replacing either. I know her mom is going to expect a pair to use while there. I won't dare tell her we bought 2 pairs. Dh agreed. If we did that bm would say then she can keep a pair there. Which made me think of a cheap dollar store pair. I will sure ask the dr if this will be ok.

Quoting momof2ex1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paulswifey11
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM
U can buy readers at the dollar tree and that is what I would do. Take her and let her puck them out. They have very plain. They also have done pretty ones with bright colors and fake "bling".
mamaBerg85
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:00 AM
This is what I was thinking. I mean at least until I i
Know how well she will do independent remembering them. I mean bum forgets to send backs meds as it is now. Then has the guts to ask if we can afford iut of pocket until the next visit. Um not at $45 a pill. I mean come on over might them it was ur mistake.

Quoting paulswifey11:

U can buy readers at the dollar tree and that is what I would do. Take her and let her puck them out. They have very plain. They also have done pretty ones with bright colors and fake "bling".

chanizen
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:49 AM
Get a nice pair and a not so nice pair. That is what we do with ss. He loses the nice pair? Here is the not so nice.

In your case, I would just send her to mom's with the cheap pair. Cheap kids glasses are really cheaps especially at bjs or walmart with a coupon.
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Oh, get the prescription from the doctors, you can go to http://www.zennioptical.com/ and order new ones. SD needs SUPER strong glasses. Seriously, SUPER strong. Some opitical places can't make her lenses because they have to be so strong. And glasses through here, with shipping are under $40. I know people who've been able to pay less than $20 for them through this website. So, if BM loses them or refuses to return them, I guess she gets to pay for new ones through this site :)

That's what we've done with SD's glasses :) 

zannahdeux
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 4:36 PM

She just got them so I would say they can stay at your house unless she needs to read for school while at moms. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)