Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are your Kid's Chores?

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:57 PM
  • 28 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello Ladies

I wanted to pose this question to you all, to see how everyone runs their house hold. I am curious to see what chores you give to your kids to be responsible for? How old are your kids? And how well you expect them to perform these chores. How often do you have to remind them? If you are a stay at home wife/mom, do you do just do it yourself instead?

Growing up from birth to 10 yrs old, my mom was a SAHM and I remember from a very your age, probably 5 yrs old that I had started to help her fo fun folding my clothes. By 10 yrs old I had my personal hygiene pat down with out my mom telling me what to do and I was a mini homemaker, less the cooking portion :-) 

Having said that, I know that not all kids are created equall, so I would love to hear from you. 

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy0505
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this
We have 2 11 year olds.
-Week1-
MON: DS sweeps bathroom, hallway, stairs
TUES: DS wash dining room table, sweep kitchen n dining room
WED: SD sweep bedroom and backhall n stairs
THURS: SD wash dining table and sweep kitchen and dining room

Daily they put away dirty clothes into bathroom hamper, clear the table after themselves and whatever other chore we request (like taking out garbage or helping with washing windows)

-week2-
MON & WED chores are swapped, so DS does his bedroom and SD does bathroom hallway stairs.

We also do not pay our kids for chores.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepmommy2
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

SS13 and SS12 have set daily chores. Pick up room, make beds. Then they rotate between a "harder" chore, clean living room, bathroom, kitchen duty, taking out trash. Part of kitchen duty was suppose to be dishes twice a day but I am kind of a germ-o-phobe and ended always re-washing the dishes anyways (no dishwasher) so I dropped dishes off the list. DH told me I should just reteach them so they do it better but I told him realistically it wouldn't matter. lol, I have to know the dishes are clean and they way I know that is by doing it myself. Yes, I know I have a problem. Living room they sweep, dust, pick-up. Bathroom they clean sink, tub, toilet and sweep. Kitchen duty is wiping counters off twice a day, sweeping kitchen and dining room and cleaning table after each meal. One day a week they have an outside chore and that is based on what needs done. Usually just consisted of helping pick up sticks so I could mow or clean up any litter people threw in our yard. This summer we did litter patrol as a family one day a week. We walked our road and picked up trash. DD6 has similar chores to her brothers but she obviously needs a little more help. She does good though because she really wants to be able to do anything they do!!! Laundry isn't on their list yet because that is another one of my crazy pet peeves. I like to wash and fold the laundry and I 100% prefer to put everything away so I can keep it all organized. I promise I am not OCD. :)

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM

SD is 13, she's responsible for her laundry, keeping her room straightened up, helping to clean the kids' bathroom (DS helps with it).

DS is 10, he's responsible for his laundry, keeping his room straightened up, helping to clean the kids' bathroom.

DS and SD also help with dishes now and then.

DD 6 and DD 5 help put their clothes away and keep their room straightened up. They also help pick up their things from around the house.

2bcalledmommy
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:37 PM

stepmommy2.....I love your post!  I feel the same way about germs, dishes and laundry! Although my SD12 would change her clothes upto 3 times a day, so I have stopped doing her laundry for her and she is now responsible for it.

Quoting stepmommy2:

I am kind of a germ-o-phobe and ended always re-washing the dishes anyways (no dishwasher) so I dropped dishes off the list. 

Laundry isn't on their list yet because that is another one of my crazy pet peeves. I like to wash and fold the laundry and I 100% prefer to put everything away so I can keep it all organized. I promise I am not OCD. :)

jules2boys
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:39 PM

My boys are 11 and 15.  15 yo is responsible for trash being taken out (this has been 'his' chore since he was about 10), but it's his choice for a chore.  11yo doesn't have any assigned chores HOWEVER, he will willingly help with anything as asked AND, he helps xMIL (disabled) out with MANY of her daily chores (he'll vacuum, wash dishes, help cook/clean up, does her laundry (wash and dry, does not fold but will carry it to her bed for her to fold - that said, I wouldn't fold her laundry either, she has ONE WAY to do it and no one else does it 'right', so this is as much as he could do for her - lovely, beautiful lady, but this is a quirk of hers, so we leave it alone LOL), etc.  He cleans up after his little sisters after BF brings them down and never has time to clean up after his own kids (pet peeve of mine, and yds's).  He does a LOT, without having/needing a 'chore chart'.  So, I'm good with it all.  ODS will do other chores when asked as well. 

This said, our normal schedule does not keep us home often enough to be able to assign chores on a daily basis and we've had a crazy schedule for years now, so this works for us. 

2bcalledmommy
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:42 PM

This is a lesson I have just recently learned and enforced with my SD12. DH and I had been giving her allowance for chores since she was 6 to teach her the value of money.  But it wasn't an effective life lesson due to her grandparents often sending her $20, 50, sometimes even $100 in the mail.  So now we stopped giving her money for chores. 

Quoting Mommy0505:

We also do not pay our kids for chores.

stepmommy2
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Glad to know I am not crazy! I enjoy cleaning which is the complete opposite from how I was as a kid.
Quoting 2bcalledmommy:

stepmommy2.....I love your post!  I feel the same way about germs, dishes and laundry! Although my SD12 would change her clother upto 3 times a day, so I have stopped doing her laundry for her and she is now responsible for it.

Quoting stepmommy2:

I am kind of a germ-o-phobe and ended always re-washing the dishes anyways (no dishwasher) so I dropped dishes off the list. 

Laundry isn't on their list yet because that is another one of my crazy pet peeves. I like to wash and fold the laundry and I 100% prefer to put everything away so I can keep it all organized. I promise I am not OCD. :)

2bcalledmommy
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:51 PM

DH and I have SD12 now and are trying to have a baby together, hopefully a boy.  I had been thinking how I would approach boys and chores...this is a great post.  Thank you!

Quoting jules2boys:

My boys are 11 and 15.  

BNC1100
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:58 PM

My Skids 10, and 12 whom live here have daily chores.

Most of their chores are just cleaning up the dog poo in the yard daily

Cleaning out Litter Boxes daily

Feed and water animals daily

Tak out trash as needed except on Sunday then they have to gather all garbage around the house and take the can to the cirb.

And ofcourse they have to clean there room and put their clothes away which they hardly ever do.

If they get into trouble they may have other chores around the house but I cant trust them to clean things correctly or not break things so I have to be careful what I give them to do. I have tried teaching them some things but they either do it wrong on purpose or they just don't get it, I usually tend to get frustrated and either do it myself or make them clean it till its correct. They hate it but if they didnt play around and half ass everything then they wouldnt be there all day doing it.

2bcalledmommy
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Tinkerbellmama . . . Do you have to remind your kids or are they pretty good with doing it on their own with out being asked?

If you don't have to ask them often, I would like to know your secret.

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

SD is 13, she's responsible for her laundry, keeping her room straightened up, helping to clean the kids' bathroom (DS helps with it).

DS is 10, he's responsible for his laundry, keeping his room straightened up, helping to clean the kids' bathroom.

DS and SD also help with dishes now and then.

DD 6 and DD 5 help put their clothes away and keep their room straightened up. They also help pick up their things from around the house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured