Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Oh wow!

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM
  • 22 Replies

So tonight was curriculum eve (I guess you guys call that back to school night). At our school, it's usually a buffet, some wine, a clever presentation by the marketing dept. begging for donations ... and then a session with the kids' form tutors. Each set of parents gets name stickers ... one for BM (with the child's name and her name on), and one for the BF (child's name and his name on it).

Anyhow, we don't have many separated couples there, but one BM brought her other half ... who, in the absence of the BF (who is usually present ... so I guess he couldn't make it) used the BF's name tag! Ironically the BPs were never married ... so the two tags didn't even have the same surname on them!

Talk about disrespectful!

by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leegirl_jm
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Maybe BF gave his permission, do they hate each other?

Pero3
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I can't say they like each other ... they usually don't speak.

It's not about the attendance, it's about using the name tag. They aren't mandatory per se, just makes it easier to communicate ("oh, you are so-and-so, nice to meet you"). 

Quoting leegirl_jm:

DDDaysh
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 4:52 PM

So he would be walking around with a name tag that said, "Hi, I'm George, Sara's Dad", but his name is really James?  

Pero3
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 4:53 PM

That's pretty much it!

Quoting DDDaysh:

So he would be walking around with a name tag that said, "Hi, I'm George, Sara's Dad", but his name is really James?  

DDDaysh
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Weird...  

Quoting Pero3:

That's pretty much it!

Quoting DDDaysh:

leegirl_jm
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 5:00 PM

As an outsider to the situation, it would only be shrug worthy. If Dad isn't there, then I don't see the big deal. In conversation, if it comes up, he can say, 'I am Bob, I am sitting in for James, Sara's Dad'.

Quoting Pero3:

I can't say they like each other ... they usually don't speak.

It's not about the attendance, it's about using the name tag. They aren't mandatory per se, just makes it easier to communicate ("oh, you are so-and-so, nice to meet you"). 

Quoting leegirl_jm:

Wife, Mother and Career Woman living in Jamaica

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 5:01 PM
9 moms liked this

i wish schools gave out wine here! lol jk

Pero3
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

It wouldn't occur to me to stick that thing on in the first place ... wrong first name, wrong surname (not even in line with the mother's, since the BPs were never married).

Plus ... he then helped himself rather excessively to the liquid part of the buffet and got louder and louder ... I'm sure BF will be thrilled when he finds out!

Quoting leegirl_jm:

As an outsider to the situation, it would only be shrug worthy. If Dad isn't there, then I don't see the big deal. In conversation, if it comes up, he can say, 'I am Bob, I am sitting in for James, Sara's Dad'.

leegirl_jm
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Yes, you wouldn't stick it on, but he is guy, most don't usually make a big deal out of nothing.

Quoting Pero3:

It wouldn't occur to me to stick that thing on in the first place ... wrong first name, wrong surname (not even in line with the mother's, since the BPs were never married).

Plus ... he then helped himself rather excessively to the liquid part of the buffet and got louder and louder ... I'm sure BF will be thrilled when he finds out!

Quoting leegirl_jm:

Wife, Mother and Career Woman living in Jamaica

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 5:21 PM
6 moms liked this

They serve WINE?

I would go and pick up some no-show's name tag and be like, yeah I'm her mom, yeah yeah that's great, algebra, the Ming dynasty ok great.  Where's the booze?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)