Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Church?

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Amy
  • 34 Replies

Does your family go to church?  Do your step children go with you?

Is your step children's bio parent a church-goer?  Do you and she share the same religion?

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM

We go to church in our house.

BM and SD's family over there do not.

When SD is with us she goes to church with us

dougiesmom
by New Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM

We go to church, and my step-daughter who lives here goes with us. Her mom used to take her to church (Baptist, same as us), but they've stopped. We go 3x/week, so we figure the occasional Sunday morning of not going will not hurt her. We do feel it's important that she be in church, but we're also not going to force another household to adhere to our principles.

Step-daughter (different BMs) who does not live here doesn't go; even when she's here, she refuses. She's 16 and as big as us, so there's no forcing her. (haha) Oddly enough, there's almost always someone too sick to go when she is here (which isn't very often), so she's never actually gotten to stay here alone (which is part of her goal; she can't stand not being able to do whatever she wants when she's here like she's used to at home, where they leave her alone for hours a day).

amanda_mom89
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:07 PM
No, DH and I are not religious. We don't take the kids to church.

BM..I think she believes in God but only occasionally goes to church with her mom. BMs mom has been taking SD to church on. Bm's weekends.

We're considering sending the kids (dd and SD) to church has with Dr's aunt and uncle because SD has been saying some really messed up things about God. DH thinks she needs exposure to more than one church.
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:11 PM

BM doesn't go to church. SD goes to church with BM's mom once a month when BM takes visitation and drops SD off with BM's mom. Overall, we share the same religion, Christianity; however we only believe the same basics. BM's mom's church is very "hell, fire, and brimstone" scaring one into belief and Godly behavior. Neither DH nor I believe that way.

We sometimes go to church. Again, neither DH nor I believe that it's a requirement to be a good Christian or have a good relationship with God.

Graceplustwo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Church is a must in our home.
Bm used to go but idk what happened
Skids come sometimes but usually we go to the evening service , which skids are back with bm.
Bm and us are all Christians , she used to go to same church. .skids hate going , which is usually why we go aftee they leave,
kristinbugg
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this
We do not attend church.

I do not agree with any child, or person, being forced or required to attend church services.
Birdseed
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Thankfully, this is a total non issue with BM and DH.  Neither are religious though both were brought up in homes where weekly attendance (to church) was required.

Several in DH's family are quite religious and have pushed to get the kids to do bible study or attend with them, but both DH and BM have kindly but firmly said No.

If the kids were interested, that would be one thing.  But they're not.  And we all believe that a person should choose their own spiritual path.

FWIW, I have a degree in world religion and really enjoy studying it, but I am about as NOT into organized religion as a person could be. 

Derdriu
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 2:29 PM

DH and I share religious beliefs.  I really don't know about BM and SF.  When we attend, which is not as regularly as we should, the kids go along.  As far as I know, they go with BM when she goes to church.  SD is a big fan of sleepovers and will often attend with friends as well when she spends a Saturday night over at someone's house.  Both kids attend private church-affiliated schools, so religious beliefs held are fairly uniform across their social circle. 

EricaG87
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Our church (a plant church) disbanded not long ago and we have been having trouble finding a new home church since then... We are Christians (Methodists) so it's not that we have a hard time finding an actual church, but rather finding one that suits our needs such as a nursery, kid's church during the service, nearby, etc... But yes, when we go to church on a Sunday that our SD is here, she does go with us. SD's BM is also a Christian and does go to church occassionally I believe. We may not be the exact same denomination, but close enough.

Sarlinda
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Yes we go to church and yes my sd used to go with us when he had visitation with her. Last I heard sd's mom attends church but I am not sure of the religion or if sd goes with her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured