Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obamacare and your CO

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM
  • 18 Replies
So, many of you are responsible for CS and 50% of medical expenses when a child is a FT student until they are 21.

With the new provision that children can get covered until they are 26, do you think we will see a new age threshhold for continuing responsibility by one or both parents?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annabl1970
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:38 PM
I hope no
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GlockMom
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:38 PM
Hopefully not. Some people are going to try it though.
jlg12678
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Good lord I hope not.

kristinbugg
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 6:01 PM
3 moms liked this
Idk. I do not see 18 as a "magic" age where one becomes mature and responsible. I would hope that most parents do realize that and would continue to help and guide their children.

Cue: "When I was 18, I had three jobs and my own apartment...."
SassyMom25
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I think a lot of things are going to have to change if they expect this insurance thing to work. Our kids (SS11, DD7, DD2) all qualify for medicaid. DH and I don't so almost $400 of DHs monthly checks go to insurance. It would be almost a whole check if we added the kids.

Anyway, the state started this new program where the kids are covered through the parents work if insurance is available and the state then pays the premium...the kids are still covered by the state as a second insurance then. We were turned away because it cost more to pay our premium than for the kids to be fully covered by the state.

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Interesting question.

I am thrilled my kids get to stay on our insurance until 26.

momof2cuteboys
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I hadn't even considered this yet.  We have 8 yrs till he is 18 though so maybe by then we'll have a new plan. 

HopesNDreams
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Same here. I think this is especially important with the changes going on in the economy and job market. There may not be jobs with benefits available to them when they graduate, so this may really be essential.

There is also a big difference between requiring a parent to insure a child until age 26 by CO and requiring a parent to 'support' them.

Quoting whatIknownow:

Interesting question.

luckystars2012
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope not.  I dont think either parent should be forced to support their adult child past 18/high school.

pdxmum
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Oh, i am thrilled also, don't get me wrong. I hope none of the kids need it but it is so comforting to know they could.

I rode my bicycle cross country when I was 21 and just out of college. No insurance. Dumb ass fearless kid.

Quoting whatIknownow:

Interesting question.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured