Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Trade school and child support

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:00 PM
  • 109 Replies

I live in MO where emancipation is 21 if the kid goes to college.  My YSD turned 18 recently and she is a SR in High School.  She is planning on attending trade school to become a cosmetologist.  Does anyone know if we have to pay CS while she is going to a trade school?  We paid CS while the oldest went to college- she took the minimum amount of hours to keep the CS going- then as SOON as she turned 21 she dropped out of school and didn't finish.  It was already within one year of the YSD turning 18 so the state would not modify the support to reflect one child.  Soooo- we will be paying the same amount for one child that we have for two until we emancipate YSD.  Also- how does the process work in this state for emancipation? 

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pepper504
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

So, you want to punish one who knows what she wants to do by not further supporting her which is COed and state law?

baparrot2
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Yes, if she is still being provided for by her mother and is going to school, yes, CS should continue. That is my opinion for EVERYONE. Not a popular opinion. But its mine.

Now, if the kid gets a part time job and starts to contibute money to the household, CS should be modified. If it is taking her longer than 4 years to be a hairstylist (lol) yes, it should stop. The money should go to mom if that is where she is till living. The minute she moves out(unless its a dorm), the CS should stop. Those are my opinions.

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Yes. I went to a trade school to get my RDA. I still lived under my mothers roof and she still provided for me until I moved out and was on my own. I was in school full time - all day just like high school and could only have a part time job at the local hardware store because that is the only hours I could work. The school was expensive. It was only a 2 year program but the cost per year was more than a community college would have cost per year. Just because it's not a traditional university it's still higher education and is recognized by the IRS and insurance as enrolled in full time higher education.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckystars2012
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:29 PM

If she is not going to go to real college I would file a motion to eliminate CS based on that.  

LyndaLoo78
by Skeletor on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Quoting pepper504:

So, you want to punish one who knows what she wants to do by not further supporting her which is COed and state law?

I thought the exact same thing Pep.

OP, is your husband, IF successful in financially emancipating himself LEGALLY of providing support for his child (emancipation in the circumstance is for the parent, not the child), is he willing to assist with the costs of trade school without a court order compelling him to do so?

kim8934
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:37 PM

check with your state.  Some may consider a technical school to be a college.  Also, some technical schools have changed their names to include college in the name.  this would put them into the college category.

jules2boys
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

trade school is still an education, thus 'college' I'd say.  Unless the CO/state law designates that CS only covers a 4 year college or something specific, I'd consider trade school as 'college', thus CS would continue.  The 'good' news would be that cosmotology school shouldn't last 4 years, but 1 year or less.  :) 

Also, I'd see about reducing CS for YSD18.  For 3 years your DH shouldn't have been paying CS for 2 when only 1 still qualified. 

mouthyhousewife
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Why wouldn't you? 

Cos school is like 2 years long. I'm sure you can manage paying what you already have been for another measily 2 years. 

OregonMom80
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Glad we don't live in MO.  Here, the CS division cannot dock your pay for a child over 18 unless they're attending college, so no way you'd pay the same for 1 kid as 2.

JTROX
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Why would they make you continue to pay for the oldest adult stepkid?  That's odd.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)