Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Parent/Teacher Conference

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:18 AM
  • 34 Replies

This kids were out of school on Monday for Parent/Teacher Conferences.  

SS is in 5th grade this year.  When we gained custody of him he had just finished 2nd grade and couldn't read or think for himself.  He couldn't even read 1 page in Cat in the Hat or do simple Math (2+2=4).  That's how bad it was.  DH & I worked our butts off that summer to get him caught up before he started 3rd grade.  We also had him tested and he is ADHD w/a 12 second attention span.    

His teacher told us that his reading is at Level T.  The normal is Level S.  T is higher than S according to their grading system.  He's also excelling in Math & Science.  His weakness is in Writing.  She said that all boys have an issue with writing, he's not the only one.  

I'm amazed considering where he was 2 years ago academically.  He has worked soooo hard to get where he is.  His confidence and self esteem are so much better than when he came to live with us.    

When we told BM what the teacher had said, (when she dropped SS off after her weekday visit), she couldn't have cared less.  I just boggles my mind that she can't even show an ounce of pride in what SS has done.  All she cared about was talking about what she had planned for SS on her next visit.  It shouldn't surprise me.  She's always been like this.  I'm just disappointed that she doesn't take an interest in SS.  All she cares about is her visitation.  She has no interest in the day to day raising of SS, she just wants to do the fun stuff.  

SS has a 5th grade musical/play next Monday.  We told BM about it and of course, she and her mother are coming.  Should be interesting......

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

No need to be disappointed.  She's Mom in her own way.

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

that's good, right? In your post, you are complaining because she isnt' showing an interest in SS's life. Now, she's coming to his play and is showing an interest, so this is good, isn't it?  

What do you mean by "should be interesting?"

Quoting Tx_stepmom:

SS has a 5th grade musical/play next Monday.  We told BM about it and of course, she and her mother are coming.  Should be interesting......

Tx_stepmom
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I know she's his mom.  It's just that she undermines everything that we accomplish with him (academically or physically).  She doesn't care.   

It just get tiring at times.  I want her to show some interest in him other than her visitation days.  The fact that she's coming to his play on Monday is so she can make a fool of herself in front of everyone and try to act like she's the World's Best Mother.  His teacher isn't even going to know who BM is.  The last time she went to have lunch with SS at school (1.5 years ago), she got offended because they didn't know who she was.

I don't dwell on this all the time.  It just builds up sometimes.  I just wish she would grow up and realize what is important.  I know that it will never happen.  That's all.........rant over....LOL  

Quoting WifeyC:

Tx_stepmom
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:43 AM

No, it's not showing an interest.  She's coming and will make a fool of herself.  The last time she came to a Curriculum Night at SS school, she was drunk/hungover and was proud of it.  She will put on a "show" in front of all of the parents and teachers like she's the World's Best Mom.  That's how it usually goes.  

Quoting whatIknownow:

that's good, right? In your post, you are complaining because she isnt' showing an interest in SS's life. Now, she's coming to his play and is showing an interest, so this is good, isn't it?  

Quoting Tx_stepmom:

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:44 AM

You missed my point.  I didn't say she is the Mom.  I said she's a Mom in her own way.  It might not be your way, my way or the neighbor's way, but this is her.  Stop trying to make her out to be something more than she is and you won't be disappointed.

Quoting Tx_stepmom:

I know she's his mom.  It's just that she undermines everything that we accomplish with him (academically or physically).  She doesn't care.   

It just get tiring at times.  I want her to show some interest in him other than her visitation days.  The fact that she's coming to his play on Monday is so she can make a fool of herself in front of everyone and try to act like she's the World's Best Mother.  His teacher isn't even going to know who BM is.  The last time she went to have lunch with SS at school (1.5 years ago), she got offended because they didn't know who she was.

I don't dwell on this all the time.  It just builds up sometimes.  I just wish she would grow up and realize what is important.  I know that it will never happen.  That's all.........rant over....LOL  

Quoting WifeyC:

Leigh84
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:45 AM
BM used to be like this too. Not long after she gave DH custody she told him she didn't care how the kids did in school and she wanted nothing to do w/their academics. This went on for a few years until she decided she wanted EOW DH told her that meant she had to care about how they were doing in school. I guess she's changed her tune since then.
whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Well the important thing is that she is coming. It's good for SS to see his Mom show an interest.

Quoting Tx_stepmom:

No, it's not showing an interest.  She's coming and will make a fool of herself.  The last time she came to a Curriculum Night at SS school, she was drunk/hungover and was proud of it.  She will put on a "show" in front of all of the parents and teachers like she's the World's Best Mom.  That's how it usually goes.  

Quoting whatIknownow:

Quoting Tx_stepmom:

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I agree with this. She takes weekly visitation, she goes to his school play. That's more than a lot of NCP's do. 

Quoting WifeyC:

You missed my point.  I didn't say she is the Mom.  I said she's a Mom in her own way.  It might not be your way, my way or the neighbor's way, but this is her.  Stop trying to make her out to be something more than she is and you won't be disappointed.

Quoting Tx_stepmom:

Quoting WifeyC:

Tx_stepmom
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I'm not.  I just wish she would grow up.  That's all.  She's older than I am and she acts like a teenager in heat.  She calls me for advice.  I'm raising her son, I don't have time to raise her too.  That's where I'm coming from.  

Quoting WifeyC:

Quoting Tx_stepmom:

Quoting WifeyC:

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Then don't.  When she calls, don't answer.  When she causes issues, let Dad handle it.  When she doesn't do something you think she should as a Mom, let it roll off your back.

I'm talking from experience and it saves your sanity.

Quoting Tx_stepmom:

I'm not.  I just wish she would grow up.  That's all.  She's older than I am and she acts like a teenager in heat.  She calls me for advice.  I'm raising her son, I don't have time to raise her too.  That's where I'm coming from.  

Quoting WifeyC:

Quoting Tx_stepmom:

Quoting WifeyC:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN