Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When IS it appropriate for CS to end?

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:48 AM
  • 76 Replies

So- as kind of a bounce off of my other post (that by the way NO ONE has addressed the actual question at hand)--

When do you think it is appropriate for CS to end? Under what circumstances should it END-- I'm not talking about what situations that it should continue (if that makes sense)  there are a million reasons that CS could continue-- but-- when should it end?  

There are so many varying views about it.  Are you happy with the way your state handles CS issues, and are you a BM a SM or both?

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Birdseed
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:53 AM
5 moms liked this

No one CAN address your actual question because no one here is an attorney in Missouri. Call an attorney.

Anyway...I think that CS should end 6 mos after a child graduates HS or, if they drop out, when they turn 18.  I don't think that a parent's responsibility for their child ends at that time, but I do think that whatever financial assistance a parent wants to give should be given directly to the child.

akm378mn
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I kind of agree that no parent should legally be "forced" to pay child support after the child graduates from high school and is 18 years old. 

In-tact families have the "option" to support or not support their adult children if they can or if they choose to.  If that makes sense...   I believe in helping out kids to go to college.  My husband really doesn't.  If I am financially able, I will help my son with school, as long as he is willing to make an effort to do what he can.  (i.e. at least work part time during the school year and full time in the summer)  

I guess I think every situation is unique and a parent shouldn't automatically be required to support an "adult" child.  ESPECIALLY just because the parents are no longer together. 

OregonMom80
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:56 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm an SM only and I'm happy with the way our state handles it.  6 months before DSS turns 18, he has to provide his plan for college to DH.  DH pays CS directly to DSS or his school after 18yo ONLY if DSS can show he is attending at least 1/2 time, has passing grades (C or better) and DH has to be included as having access to his school records to confirm both of those things.

Since parental income is used against kids in regards to financial aid, I do feel parents have a responsibility to assist with college.  Mine didn't - I had to work my way through and I want better for my children.

Birdseed
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I generally agree with you but the piece in red is wierd to me. I don't think that parents should have access to the school records in college.  Time to cut the cord.  If a condition of getting money is to show Dad the grades, let the kid show dad his grades--but actually having access to the school records feels very helicopter-parent-y to me.

Quoting OregonMom80:

I'm an SM only and I'm happy with the way our state handles it.  6 months before DSS turns 18, he has to provide his plan for college to DH.  DH pays CS directly to DSS or his school after 18yo ONLY if DSS can show he is attending at least 1/2 time, has passing grades (C or better) and DH has to be included as having access to his school records to confirm both of those things.

Since parental income is used against kids in regards to financial aid, I do feel parents have a responsibility to assist with college.  Mine didn't - I had to work my way through and I want better for my children.

runinpinkshoes
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Our state mandates CS until the kids turn 18, which I think is good. 21 would be weird - unless maybe the money was going to the kids, not the other parent.

Some might say I'm on the extreme end of the independent spectrum (I've been on my own since 17 and put myself through college), but I feel kids should be out on their own and supporting themselves at 18 (or after high school), not expecting a parent to do it. 

fnpdocgrrl
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Child support paid to the other parent ends when the child hits majority age or graduates high school, whichever comes later.  Any monies exchanged after that are between the parent and child, and neither parent has a say over how the other handles things at this juncture. 

Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it should end once the child turns 18, or is no longer living in the custodial household.

OregonMom80
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I doubt DH would have to access them.  Apparently, it's just a state thing due to too many conflicts where the kid has been alienated against the father and yet mom & kid expect to just collect for college on their word that the kid is passing.

DH didn't ask for that to be included, it was just part of the standard language that was in there and BM didn't care because the old order ended at 18yo.

Quoting Birdseed:

I generally agree with you but the piece in red is wierd to me. I don't think that parents should have access to the school records in college.  Time to cut the cord.  If a condition of getting money is to show Dad the grades, let the kid show dad his grades--but actually having access to the school records feels very helicopter-parent-y to me.

Quoting OregonMom80:

AydensMommy1008
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I am BOTH a BM and a SM and I live in Ohio, here CS ends when the child is 18 or out of high school and I think that works great.

LyndaLoo78
by Skeletor on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

In my state CS can continue as long as the child is enrolled full time in a post secondary college or university, or in a technical school.  The presumptive age of CS ending is 21 I think, although it may extend longer than that on a case by case basis.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured