Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Exchanges

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:22 PM
  • 43 Replies

What is your arrangement on child exchanges? Do you feel it's fair to meet exactly halfway or even NCP picks them up on Friday from their home, and CP picks them up from NCP's home on Sunday? My stepchildren live 4 hours away, so this is something that has been causing problems on a regular basis.

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LyndaLoo78
by Skeletor on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I take it that the current CO is silent on the matter.  

Has this always been a fight or has there been a recent change (such as one of the partioes moved) and that is creating the current conflict?  

Typically, I see nothing wrong with meeting at a half way point when there is a long distance or long drive situation.

Sondi7
by Sondra on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:25 PM

We meet half way. We don't do any exchanges at homes.

ksuttle2012
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Well, there is a temporary CO in place but we're about to get everything modified. DH has been driving further than she has. And the time to meet in the CO is 6 pm but BM can never meet at that time, so we definitely need a modification.

KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Generally speaking, 4 hours is a distance that should be split. However, I don't know the circumstances, so I can't say for sure that one parent shouldn't be doing all the transportation.
progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:31 PM

When my dad moved two hours away, he became responsible for all travel. Luckily for him, my grandma was very helpful. She would pick me up from school at 3pm on Friday and meet him halfway, and then meet him halfway on Sunday to take me back to my mom’s.

For us, the BP that is starting their visitation is responsible for picking up SS. Since we live less than a mile from BM, it’s not really an issue. She picks up from our house and we pick up from her apartment.

ksuttle2012
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Basically BM feels it's beneath her to meet us exactly halfway. She is slways changing the time and this weekend we have the kids until Monday....and BM is saying DH has to bring them all the way home because she has to work.

Quoting LyndaLoo78:

I take it that the current CO is silent on the matter.  

Has this always been a fight or has there been a recent change (such as one of the partioes moved) and that is creating the current conflict?  

Typically, I see nothing wrong with meeting at a half way point when there is a long distance or long drive situation.

jlg12678
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM

My dh and I moved two hours away.

My dh is fully responsible for the travel and in lieu of doing any driving bm is co'd to provide medical and dental on both kids.

We are find with the driving as bm has issues with being on time and this eliminates that problem.

ksuttle2012
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Basically while DH was deployed a couple years ago, BM moved the kids 3 hrs away to live with her boyfriend. We have moved as well, but only about an hr away from where DH originally lived.

Quoting KnowItAll:

Generally speaking, 4 hours is a distance that should be split. However, I don't know the circumstances, so I can't say for sure that one parent shouldn't be doing all the transportation.

LaffItUpFzbl
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Oh damn. I thought you were stating that I could take my kids back to the hospital for a refund. Oh, fine. I don't really want to do that. Most days...

KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:36 PM
5 moms liked this
I think whoever moves should be responsible for the driving.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured