Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

OT- circumcision

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:17 PM
  • 59 Replies

J and I are having a discussion about circumcision....having no penis and only a daughter so far its not something ive ever given a lot of thought to.  With a boy coming I started looking it up and honestly Im not convinced we should have it done.....I cant find any real medical benefits to it.  

J's stance is "its how he was raised, boys should be ciscumsized"....yeah not the most convincing argument.....

I need some more opinions...whaddya got ladies? 

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NotTheBradys
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Aside from cosmetic reasons (it apparently looks better), it has been said that it is more sanitary.  If a boy is not circumcised, the foreskin has to be pulled back and the head of the penis cleaned regularly.  Otherwise, there is an increased risk of getting a yeast infection and UTIs.

soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I did not circ DS. To be honest I didn't do it because my insurance didn't cover it as cosmetic surgury. I got a lot of crap from everyone I knew so I started researching it. In the end I decided that "because thats what everyone else does" is not a reason to cut of part of my son's penis.

soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

It's only less sanitary if you don't teach your kid to wash his junk.

Quoting NotTheBradys:

Aside from cosmetic reasons (it apparently looks better), it has been said that it is more sanitary.  If a boy is not circumcised, the foreskin has to be pulled back and the head of the penis cleaned regularly.  Otherwise, there is an increased risk of getting a yeast infection and UTIs.

spicy0425
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:58 PM

We  didn't circumsized our boy when he was born. Reason: we didn't want they chop off too much since he is still so little. If he needs it done when he grows up, at least the MD can see clearly the skin for a more accurate operation.

HisLovingGirl
by New Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
You forgot to say you NEVER pull the foreskin back. That can cause infection and scar tissue meaning a very possibly reason to actually need medical circumcision.

Quoting soonergirl980:

It's only less sanitary if you don't teach your kid to wash his junk.

Quoting NotTheBradys:

DDDaysh
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:04 AM

This was a decision I punted to BD since I figured he'd have more experience to back up his opinion.  He didn't want to circ, so DS is intact.  

DS however, wishes I had done it.  He's not sure about getting it done himself at this point, but he wishes he looked like all the other boys in school.  He has gotten teased for being intact.  That was mostly in the lower grades though.  I haven't heard much about it lately.  

In the long run though, I'm not sure it matters.  

babie113
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:06 AM
I left this decision to my son
allrighty2
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this

NO NO!   you never retract a child's foreskin!  This mis-information has been going around for years.

An intact penis is fused to the glans.  All you do is rinse with water.  Eventually (could take up to puberty) the foreskin will become unfused.  The owner of the penis will know when the time comes, and only the owner of the penis should retract it to clean.  

Quoting NotTheBradys:

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I had DS done, and I regreted it right away. If we had ever had another boy, I wouldn't have it done.

There's no medical reason for it.

NotTheBradys
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Meant male, not boy.... CNA training, you pull back the foreskin (gently), wash, rinse and dry to prevent infection- How I was trained 20 years ago and what I had to do until 6 months ago. 

(it's after midnight and I can't think straight...)

Quoting allrighty2:

NO NO!   you never retract a child's foreskin!  This mis-information has been going around for years.

An intact penis is fused to the glans.  All you do is rinse with water.  Eventually (could take up to puberty) the foreskin will become unfused.  The owner of the penis will know when the time comes, and only the owner of the penis should retract it to clean.  

Quoting NotTheBradys:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN