Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Stepdaughter doesn't believe what I say

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:13 PM
  • 17 Replies
My stepdaughter, now 7, does not believe what I tell her. I've been in her life since she was 3. It drives me crazy that anytime she asks me something an I tell her the answer she almost always has an opposite answer. Idk why she even asks me if she has her own answer. This morning she couldn't button her jeans and I told her they are too tight. She backed up from me as if she was fighting me off of her and then said "see they aren't too tight" so I said ok fine. I let it go and then 3 minutes later she asked where her skirts were because her pants were too tight! This is jut one example if many. And she corrects what I say. I just don't get it or what I am missing with her!
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM
3 moms liked this
She's 7... It's totally normal. Not just unique to stepmoms. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaKleinpeter
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM
It actually makes me mad and i fuss at her. I feel like she's being bossy or sassy and trying to the one who is "right". I do not want her to get used to this attitude of correcting people or adults.
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not saying that it shouldn't be corrected I'm just saying you aren't special lol I mean that sweetly not being an arse.

She does need to be corrected or it won't get better. My niece is 9 and ugh she has never been corrected. It's so hard to be around her.

I think it's worse with girls but boys do it too.

Quoting MommaKleinpeter:

It actually makes me mad and i fuss at her. I feel like she's being bossy or sassy and trying to the one who is "right". I do not want her to get used to this attitude of correcting people or adults.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this

lol why are you arguing with a 7 year old? If me kid said they weren't to tight I would say ok and walk away and they would figure it out. Kids want to be independent they need to figure things out.

MommaKleinpeter
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Well it's good to know that it's normal!? I was starting to think she had "trusting mommy" issues since I'm just the stepmom!
spicy0425
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Kids, especially girls will do that A LOT. They will ask you for suggestions and then they will do the opposite. It's normal.

Amy1973Potts
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 5:29 AM
Totally normal. Its obnoxious. BUT, when they do it to a stranger and get put in their place, its quite funny.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Completely normal.... annoying, but normal. It fades. It seemed like it took forever to get OSD to stop. SS was much easier to break.

But it was hard to decide how to do it because we want her to speak up if she believes things are wrong.  I think just backing up and letting them figure it out by themselves works best.  (although somedays I'll admit it was more like yelling "ok if you are so smart, you are on your own" and going to hide)  OSD would correct everything from the weather to our parenting...pissed us off.

YSD (7) did it yesterday when she put on an old nasty pair of holey shoes. I told her to change them because she would get cold. She said she wouldn't. I said ok.  She ran out to the bus and only made it three steps before coming in to change. I told her see we need to throw them out.

HopesNDreams
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Normal, but still annoying. Try saying 'is that comfortable?' instead of 'those are too tight.' You can eliminate the power struggle by letting her label them. If she wants to be uncomfortable for a day, so be it. When she takes them off, put them in abhave to be donated or given away. Bye bye power struggle!
whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Sounds like a pretty normal kid. I would just do what you're doing, say "ok" and let her figure it out. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)