Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Did you grow up with a step?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:05 AM
  • 35 Replies
Parent if so how was your relationship . i hated my sm my dad was a cheater and slept witg my mons best friend who was married. My yougest sis was conceived before either divorce was final. My ssister sand i were best friends its how our parents all met. we always had dinners and bbq .

I also had a hatred for my dad he and mom were verbally emotionally and physically . i was forced to visit him. we get alonng for the most part now but had had a long 7 years
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pseudomamma
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I didn't become a step until after I was married.  It was kind of fun having 3 younger step sisters.  Unfortunately it only lasted 3 months.  That was the only time.

progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Yes.

My mom married my stepdad when I was four. We were okay. I called him dad for a while. He and my mom had my younger sister when I was six. He also had two sons, who went to live with their mom when I was eight. He and my mom divorced when I was nine, but stayed in close contact and got remarried when I was fourteen. I didn’t call him dad anymore and he obviously favored my little sister. We pretty much coexisted in the same house. Every once in a while he’d reach out and do something special for me. We’re not especially close, but I think of him as a stepdad. His SM and BF are really cool and have always tried to treat me fairly, even when he and my mom were divorced.

My dad married his wife when I was five. I didn’t like her or her son. When I was eight she told me that she was going to have a baby with my dad and replace me. I mouthed back that my dad could never replace me, but he could always marry a nicer lady. She threw a fit, demanded that my dad punish me, and instead my dad offered to send her to a hotel when I visited. He also never had a child with her (she couldn't have kids, but she had a family member offer to be a surrogate for her). We ended up having a better, closer relationship but it went back downhill when I was fourteen. She was a jealous, insecure, drunk. And she still is. I’ve close with her son, and we’ve both severely limited her presence in our lives.

amantonacci
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:51 AM
I don't have step parents... My dad has a girlfriend for a bunch of years now.
OregonMom80
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:15 PM
I had 2 SFs before I was an adult and a couple since. I'm still close to the ones that were around when I was a child.

My mom was never supportive of us liking any other woman (or our dads for that matter), so I mostly avoided my SM to avoid conflict with BM. I was also a teen when my dad married her. We get along great now, although there were times of resentment in the past with my dad treating her kids like his own and, in some cases, appearing to treat her kids more favorably than us.
faerie75
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:20 PM

nope. my parents are still married.

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Mine is too long to list. I have had multiple stepmoms. My dad has been married many times. My mom remarried when I was 4/5 and they are still married today. Almost 30 years. My dad is currently married to wife #5. She is not considered a stepmom but dads wife. I like her she just isn't a stepmom to me since I was grown when she came along.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM
You mean she isn't your stepmom because they aren't married?? Shocker!

Quoting amantonacci:

I don't have step parents... My dad has a girlfriend for a bunch of years now.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllieReed
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Yes, my mother married 3 more times after my Dad. It sucked, but I guess it made me a great step parent.
Mommy0505
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I hated my SD.  He was a recovering alcoholic who relapsed toward the end of their 10 year marriage.

He was verbally abusive toward everyone in the house and physical toward some.  I hated the way he treated even his own kids. He had 5 kids in foster care when he married my mom.  They came to live with us but it was terrible.  His oldest 3 kids were lost causes. Messed up by seeing their parents' abusive/alcoholic lives and then crazy foster homes.  My oldest step brother tried suffocating his younger brother, beat himself up and went to the police to blame the parents and other crazy stuff. 

My mom wasn't a very good SM.  She is not a nurturing person and kept a far distance from his kids.  She treated them "fairly" and made sure they had what they needed, but she just couldn't let them get close emotionally. (she barely graduate from high school through the special ed program)  And the younger 2 desparately wanted a mother since theirs was an alcoholic mess that never regained visitation. 

The family dynamics were doomed from the beginning.  They couldn't communicate or even keep their marriage healthy so there was no way they could parent effectively.

Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:34 PM

my parents split before I was born...when I was 7 my mom met the man who would later become my stepdad (she walked up to him in a bar and hanfcuffed herself to him) they were together 23 yrs and married over a year ago.

He is my dad-my bio dad died when I was ten-and my stepdad told me "I'll never replace your dad but I'll do my best to be the dad you deserve"

And he is the one I go to for everything. He was/is always there  for me, no matter what.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)