Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Death spinoff

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 6:19 PM
  • 52 Replies
If the CP in a long distance situation dies, whose financial responsibility is it to get the children to the OP if that is the plan?
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JohnnysGirl27
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I would guess it's the OP's responsibility.

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 6:22 PM

so you mean, the child is out visiting the NCP and during that time, he croaks..who pays to get the kid back home?

I imagine the CP would spring for it, and it's a bargain for him/her because it's the last trip he/she will have to pay for.

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Legally, I don't know the answer because there are lots of variables.

However, I would assume that the NCP (made custodial upon the death of the CP) would find a way to get the kids because even if the CP had life insurance and a will directing funds to be put in trust for the kids, to cover expenses, etc, it takes awhile to release those funds.

Kind of like how families typically have to pay for funeral arrangements out of pocket and wait on the life insurance.

leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

The parent that is alive, I don't think the dead parent will be paying.

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 6:27 PM
No the cp dies.

Quoting whatIknownow:

so you mean, the child is out visiting the NCP and during that time, he croaks..who pays to get the kid back home?

I imagine the CP would spring for it, and it's a bargain for him/her because it's the last trip he/she will have to pay for.

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 6:28 PM

well if the CP dies while the kid is visiting the NCP, no one has to pay for anything, he just stays there.

If the CP dies while the kid is with the CP, I guess the NCP has to spring for it if he wants his kid. Who else would pay?

Quoting Polkadotted:

No the cp dies.

Quoting whatIknownow:

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 6:29 PM
So it wouldn't be the step parent's responsibility if the OP couldn't afford the trip?

Quoting leegirl_jm:

leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this

The stepparent is like the nanny, no responsibilities or obligations.

Quoting Polkadotted:

So it wouldn't be the step parent's responsibility if the OP couldn't afford the trip?

Quoting leegirl_jm:

Career Woman, Wife and Mother of Two Children, a Girl and a Boy.

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 6:30 PM
So the kids would stay with the SP until the OP could afford to collect the kids?

Quoting whatIknownow:

well if the CP dies while the kid is visiting the NCP, no one has to pay for anything, he just stays there.

If the CP dies while the kid is with the CP, I guess the NCP has to spring for it if he wants his kid. Who else would pay?

Quoting Polkadotted:

No the cp dies.

Quoting whatIknownow:

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 6:30 PM

how can the OP not be able to afford it? Is he that poor? If he's that poor, how can he afford to take care of the child?

but to answer your question, no I don't believe it's the SP's responsibility.

Quoting Polkadotted:

Quoting leegirl_jm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)