Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Thoughts about Vacation

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 4:20 PM
  • 46 Replies

I reading in another group about this situation:

SM's grandmother is doing a family reunion/vacation to Disney world. Everyone lives in Florida so they are all close.

There are 2 stepchildren involved. Dad is NCP and has them every other weekend I believe.

The BM is refusing to allow the children to spend the full week with Dad and SM for a family vacation. BM takes the kids on vacation with her often, so they are not missing out.

Because they are unable to take the kids-DH refuses to go period.

(Everything is paid for except for souviners. I think the SM posted if the kids could go-they'd have to spring for an extra hotel room but it's doable)

If I were this SM, I'd still go-I'd take my daughter and we'd enjoy this family time with our extended family. DH is welcomed to join us if he chooses. However, I'm lucky in the sense that if we wanted to take the kids, BM would let us without any issues. But I know not everyone is that lucky.

What are your thoughts?!

by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chasinrainbows
by Gold Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I think Dad is going to miss out. It's not anyone's fault (except BM's) that SKs cannot go. I would never keep my kids from enjoying Disney but some BMs aren't like that.

SM needs to go anyway. Period.
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

If I were the dad, I would go if SM and I shared a kid.  I don't think I'd go otherwise. 1) I would not want to give BM the option to bash me for doing it without the kids, 2) I think I would spend too much time thinking about my own kids to really enjoy it anyway. 3) I'd do something special with what ever time I had with my kids even though the SM was gone.

But SM needs to go with her daughter.

MomGoingCrazy78
by Lindy Lou on Nov. 2, 2013 at 4:45 PM

As a BM I'd let my kids go, they would have a blast!!

But anyway, the SM should still go and if DH wants to go then he is welcome. He's going to miss out on those memories!!

kellynh
by Kelly on Nov. 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM

As a BM... I'd want to hide in the damn suitcase!! Lol!! 

I think Mom and dd should go. Dad can stay home with SC. 

Was this an issue because it was presented as a family reunion? Is it because of time missed with BM? Did they try and work out additional time (even if it was a holiday) with BM so SK could go? Just curious. :) 

kristinbugg
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 4:51 PM
I'd go.

But I read this post also and SM was also saying that for SCs to go, it would be an extra $2000 and that she didn't want to pay the extra for SCs to go also.

I don't think it was JUST a case of BM not letting the kids go.
kristinbugg
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Nevermind OP.

Just reread. The post I was referring to was very similar, but a different post.

Sorry.
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

If I was dad, I'd take the issue to court and get a judge to approve the trip. I would want to be able to go with my children.

If that wasn't possible, I'd go if I shared a child with SM.

Me, as a SM, I'd be pretty pissed if DH skipped out on a family vacation becuase BM was being a wench. But, he's the father of all of my children. 

looneytunes290
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Been there done that- in the early years we arranged EVERY vacation around skids. My family is super supportive so they also arranged their vacations around my skids so we could do things together. Then after we did that we had the skids there who constantly moaned and complained and ruined the trip for everyone. So- after the first five years or so I started not giving options to dh or his kids about the vacations we took with my family (usually one or two a year) after the plans were made they were told where we we going and the dates- if they wanted to come great- if not great too! Dh has always came the skids have never been on another vacation with us. Kinda sad for dh but it was sad the other way too.
Tigress22304
by Ruby Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Quoting kellynh:

As a BM... I'd want to hide in the damn suitcase!! Lol!! 

I think Mom and dd should go. Dad can stay home with SC. 

Was this an issue because it was presented as a family reunion? Is it because of time missed with BM? Did they try and work out additional time (even if it was a holiday) with BM so SK could go? Just curious. :) 

shit I was trying to go with my stepkids BM when she took them back in July!! The only thing that stopped me was DD's school :(

Tigress22304
by Ruby Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Quoting kristinbugg:

Nevermind OP.

Just reread. The post I was referring to was very similar, but a different post.

Sorry.

No it's the same post.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN