Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Would you ever do this?

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 10:36 PM
  • 19 Replies

My brother gave us 3 big garbage bags full of clothes for Sd. My niece is almost 7 and sd will be 4 soon. But when I went to go through the clothes it was fine at first but then all i could smell was cat pee. Why would someone give away clothes that smell like cat pee?

We washed 1 bag today as we were going to do laundry but there are still 2 bags that are out on the porch because I can not deal with the smell.

by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crazymomma87
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 10:57 PM
That's gross...if it were me I would throw them away...BUT if the clothes are nice besides the smell I might suck it up, go through it and wash what I want to keep
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this
It's possible they don't smell it. It's like a smoker. They can't really smell something they smell all day every day. I went in to my friends house tonight and it was horrid. I'm sure she doesn't even realize it because she is used to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jules2boys
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Maybe they didn't know the cat peed on the clothing?  Maybe the cat got in there before they sealed the bags to bring to you?   Otherwise I'll go with what momof2ex1 said... maybe they can't smell it if they're used to it?  Doesn't seem like a healthy environment for their 7yo to live in though if that's the case.  :( 

Derdriu
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:51 AM
I've walked into houses where people had multiple cats that absolutely reeked of cat pee and stale litter box. It may have been gagging to me, but they were used to it. Perhaps your brother is so accustomed to everything smelling like cat that he's not even aware the clothes stink.

To give a different example, my MIL sends the kids home from visits with her with such smokiness that DH and I won't even bring their bags in the house. She's totally unaware of how bad her home smells or that their stuff stinks. She's a very neat lady otherwise. Everything is always washed and folded and well organized... But the smoke! Ick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckystars2012
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Wash them with laundry soap and apple cider vinegar in hot water once or twice. It will kill the smell.
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM

ugh no...

I always wash before I give.

and I always wash what we receive.

leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:33 AM

No, but I would say something to my brother, perhaps, he didn't realize that the cat got in the bags.

looneytunes290
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Ugh- I hate cats!!
mouthyhousewife
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Yucky. It's happened to me. I threw it all away.
MomGoingCrazy78
by Lindy Lou on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I would definately go through it and pull out what you want to keep and wash that. Throw what you don't want away. I know Purex makes those crystals that you put in your washing machine and they will take away almost every bad smell.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN