Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

But at my mom's house.....

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:24 AM
  • 59 Replies

I am so tired of hearing SS say, "But at my mom's house, she let's me do this...."!

BM has no rules at her house.  None at all.  DH told SS to go to bed early because we are going to the Rennaissance Festival tomorrow.  I go by SS room and he's still up at 11:30pm!  DH is already in bed.  I ask SS why he's still up.  Didn't dad ask you to go to bed early?  He tries to tell me, "But at my mom's house I ca nstay up late and get up early.  We did it when I was in Karate."  Uh, that was last year and Bm hardly took him to Karate because they overslept.  

I just so sick of hearing about BM's house of fun.  Thanks for listening to me vent.  

by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
orcawhales98
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Oh I hear you there.  I have only heard that one 1 or 2 times.  BM does stuff at her house that I don't approve of just to try to be the favorite parent.  But I use to hear all the time "Well my mommy does it this way".  And now that my exh has a new GF I hear from DD "Well SM does it this way".  I tell my DD well I am your mommy and I do it this way.  It is very annoying. 

annabl1970
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Your husband should Tell her "BUT this is MY house":)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annabl1970
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:44 AM
My house my rules :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tx_stepmom
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this

That's exactly what I told SS.  I said, "Our house, our rules"....LOL

Quoting annabl1970:

My house my rules :)

Erica705
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this
I think that's a normal thing most kids do. I'd just say 'okay. Do it at mom's house.'
Tx_stepmom
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:11 AM

SS came from a bad situation.  BM let him do whatever he wanted, eat whatever he wanted (which was nothing but junkfood-fastfood), etc....He was 8 yr old and was 30-40 lbs overweight, couldn't read 1 page in Cat in the Hat, couldn't do simple math, failing classes...She gave him all the answers to his homework because she didn't want to deal with his whining.  She was too busy with her wants and needs to deal with SS.  She was too busy trying to find her next meal ticket-sucker boyfriend.  This is all he knew.  We are custodial now and it's hard trying to get him out of that mindset.  It's something we will have deal with the rest of our lives.  Old habits die hard.......  

jeniemarie
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:30 AM
SS use to use that line a lot. finally DH started saying " this isnt her house its mine. you will follow rules here". its may seem mean but he had had enough of the disrespect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Yea, DH has always told SD, "BM makes rules for her house, and I make rules for my house."

jules2boys
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:24 AM

I've told my kids the same things as Tinker has told her SD...

Would it be better if your Schild said 'but at Timmy's house....' or 'but at Suzie's house...'?  Is it because it's BMs home or the comparison between your home and anyone's home? 

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 5:51 AM
1 mom liked this

as long as he's in his room not bothering anyone, who cares if he stays up late?

This child is not going to abandon his old life over night, just because you wish his old life would disappear. Pick your battles, and you will all adjust more easily.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN