Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Medicine help- ASAP!!

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM
  • 30 Replies
Ss has a pretty nasty sinus infection. They've prescribed him steroids, and they have to be given exactly as prescribed for 8 days.

Problem is, bm will NOT give him the meds when he visits this weekend. Do we wait and start it on Sunday when he gets home? Ask bm to exchange weekends? Give her a chance to try to give him the meds- even though she hasn't any other time??
I talked to the school and they said I could come by the day he's at mom's next week and give him his medicine. So he could get his full 8 days of it if we start the medicine on Sunday.
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pepper504
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:06 PM

He has a nasty sinus infection NOW, waiting to give him the meds when he gets back home is just crazy.  It's sad that BM will not give him the meds so that he will get better.  Would she be willing exchange weekends?

dawnnamarie
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM
She may. Dh said for me to try to see if you ladies had any better ideas, and he'll ask if not :(

The main problem is the doctor said ss couldn't start, stop and restart the medicine under any circumstances or it wouldn't work

Quoting pepper504:

He has a nasty sinus infection NOW, waiting to give him the meds when he gets back home is just crazy.  It's sad that BM will not give him the meds so that he will get better.  Would she be willing exchange weekends?

Silent_Sea
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Ask to switch weekends and go to the school. You need to start those right away. They don't prescribe steroids unless it is very severe. They may be concerned the infection will spread deeper into the sinus cavity.

Steroids need to be given consistently over the full 8 days, like antibiotics, or she might get worse. She will be moody and likely not sleep well. As a side note: No sugar products while she is on them. Steroids increase your sugar levels dramatically and can cause a diabetic state.  It is best to avoid sugar. (Most doctor's don't tell you that.)

dawnnamarie
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Really?? I never knew that about the sugar!

I've taken them before and they made me really restless- and jittery. I hated it !!

Quoting Silent_Sea:

Ask to switch weekends and go to the school. You need to start those right away. They don't prescribe steroids unless it is very severe. They may be concerned the infection will spread deeper into the sinus cavity.

Steroids need to be given consistently over the full 8 days, like antibiotics, or she might get worse. She will be moody and likely not sleep well. As a side note: No sugar products while she is on them. Steroids increase your sugar levels dramatically and can cause a diabetic state.  It is best to avoid sugar. (Most doctor's don't tell you that.)

dawnnamarie
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM
If we switch weekends, I can Make it through his full 8 days before he goes back.

Quoting Silent_Sea:

pepper504
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I know that he cannot, therefore, I'd see if DH could switch weekends so that SS can take the meds.

Quoting dawnnamarie:

She may. Dh said for me to try to see if you ladies had any better ideas, and he'll ask if not :(

The main problem is the doctor said ss couldn't start, stop and restart the medicine under any circumstances or it wouldn't work

Quoting pepper504:

Silent_Sea
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Yup, I was given it in high doses. My vision went blurry. It was bad enough that I freaked out and went into the doctor who proceeded to tell me about the sugar levels. It causes a temporary state of Cushings Disease. That is why you retain water and your face might round out a bit but even at the lower doses it is best to avoid sugar and drink LOTS of water.

Quoting dawnnamarie:

Really?? I never knew that about the sugar!

I've taken them before and they made me really restless- and jittery. I hated it !!

Quoting Silent_Sea:

amantonacci
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Ask her to switch if she won't get a dr.s note and tell her she isn't taking him
dawnnamarie
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Never thought about a drs note. That would cover our asses in case she tried to file for contempt or something.

Quoting amantonacci:

Ask her to switch if she won't get a dr.s note and tell her she isn't taking him
amantonacci
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Yes i did it once to my ex because our daughter was little and was on really strong antibiotics he called the cops and everything.. I had a docs note and was just warned to not make it a habit 3 weeks later she had tubes but in and hasn't been really sick since ( knock on wood)

Quoting dawnnamarie:

Never thought about a drs note. That would cover our asses in case she tried to file for contempt or something.

Quoting amantonacci:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured