Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To send the kids in winter coats or not....

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:24 AM
  • 59 Replies

The kids go visit BM during Christmas break...they fly from our warm state to her cold state. Last year, it was 70 degrees when the kids left here. BM complains every year that we dont send the kids in winter coats. She pays child support but the kids do not really need warm coats where we live! We think BM should provide coats for them while they are there. We have thought about getting the kids cheap coats but it would be a hassle for them to carry onto the plane. Last year she didn't buy them any and they played in the snow in sweatshirts....

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jules2boys
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:30 AM
2 moms liked this

Why not find some cheap ones and mail them to BM, then the coats are there for the kids when they arrive but the kids don't have to worry about them on the plane, especially when they're not used to keeping up with them?  Hit up Goodwill or Salvation Army or something, just find something useful, not necessary 'fashionable' and send them on out. 

While I agree that she should/could do the same on her end, it wasn't something she cared to do last year so why make the kids suffer because of it this year? 

chasinrainbows
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM
It's not a hassle to carry winter coats on a plane. People do it all the time. I would send the kids in whatever jacket they have if they don't need heavy coats where you live. BM needs to make sure she has appropriate clothing for snow.

I assume you live in south Florida, south California or the like.
jlg12678
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I'd pick something up from Goodwill or ebay. Doesn't have to be anything great...just something that will keep them warm.

In a perfect world bm would do this (and I do agree that she should) but to me it's not worth the argument or having the kids be cold.

Frustrated10
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Finallly, a post I can relate to! My sd visits us at Christmas too, she lives in a warm state, we live in the cold state. I always pick up a winter coat, hat and gloves for her to wear while she is here, my DH takes it with him to pick her up. I also buy sweaters and leggings for her to wear and probably a pair of boots. She can take them all home with her or leave them here, we don't care either way. If she leaves them here, one of my granddaughters can wear it in a year or two.

Now, if it were my child traveling to the cold state, she would arrive with a winter coat that I bought. As the parent, it would be my job to make sure all of my daughters needs were met. But not everyone thinks like me, so I do what I would do for any child I care about.

kristinbugg
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Of course you should let the children freeze and be miserable while they are with Mom.
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:12 PM
4 moms liked this

I figure each household is required to ensure that they are prepared to meet the needs of the child while the child is with them.

If NCP lives in a colder area and CP lives in a warm area, NCP needs to step up and take care of their child. The end. 

MrsGoody2Shoes
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM

They are her kids. She should be taking care of their needs! How stupid...

Quoting kristinbugg:

Of course you should let the children freeze and be miserable while they are with Mom.

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:19 PM

She should, but obviously doesn't.  I would send the coats to make sure the kids stay warm.  

Quoting MrsGoody2Shoes:

Quoting kristinbugg:

soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:19 PM

This is what I would do.

Quoting jlg12678:

I'd pick something up from Goodwill or ebay. Doesn't have to be anything great...just something that will keep them warm.

In a perfect world bm would do this (and I do agree that she should) but to me it's not worth the argument or having the kids be cold.

kristinbugg
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Does she not pay CS?

Most SMs on here, if they are not hypocrites, will tell you that CS should cover clothing.

If Dad knows before he sends the children on visitation that the weather will require warm clothing and coats, that is what he should send.

Quoting MrsGoody2Shoes:

Quoting kristinbugg:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured