Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

at our whits end!!!!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:35 AM
  • 15 Replies
Ok so I need some serious imput , advice, suggestions. Exc. Ss 10 has been having serious sleeping problems. Its not just as our home, its at his moms too. By sleepinh problems, I mean taking hours to fall asleep. Waking up 3-4 times a night ( at least) crying, waking up his brother, waking up his dad and I . Exc exc. Please keep in mind, we already have a baby in our room who wakes us up at night, now we have a 10 yr old doing it too. His reasons are he says he just can't sleep. Dh has talked to his mok and she's at a loss on what to do too. Its not as bad at his moms though. Dh has tried hot bath, warm milk, he stayed down stairs with him, nothing seems to help . There have been here 4 nights this week and its taking a toll on the whole household. Ss10 is cranky so he is fighting non stop with his brother, dh and I are cranky from gettinh woken up constantly. My baby is getting woken up and being more fussy. Ss7 is super tired from his brother crying

and waking him up. Werre all at a loss ob what to do
Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior. Its starts before he is even in bed. He starts w hinning and crying that he can't sleep. Do you think its an attention thing? My dh is outside with him now @ 330am running laps. Were both so tired, what to do???? Do you think he needs to see a doc? It has been 3 weeks like this now. Usually not ad bad because they are usually only here 2 nights a week. He usee to sleep great, never wake up, what could be causing it? Sorry if this is all over the place. I'm sooooo tired and prob not thinking clear
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MoeMoe01
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Sometimes the start of an anxiety disorder starts with a dramatic change in sleep in children your ss age. I would definaty talk with your doctor. Anxiety in children can look very different then adults.
boysmom5
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:16 AM

I would take him to see the dr.  

Mary762
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Honestly I would take him to a doctor and have him refered to a neuroglist..My youngest SD had issues about sleeping, she would go for days without sleep and it was making her cranky. Finally we got her into the neuroglist and found out she was having seisures. The type she has you don't know she's having one unless you know what you are looking for. She would stare off in space and fall alot as well as walking into walls.The neuroglist said the type she has also causes disruptions in her sleep, she has granmild seisures.The type she has can either be born with them or as a result of severe head trama which caused hers. Since we started her on meds to control them she has gottan better, now the last 9 months she sleeps thru the night, good luck!!

USBrit
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:04 AM

You said you had a baby, how old and did the 10 year old issues start with that? Maybe there is an anxiety issue that revolves around insecurity of a new sibling and being left out with parents? I would definitely go to the doctor and see if something is physically wrong and if that isn't it see a therapist for counseling.

Graceplustwo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:18 AM
Dd is 15months. This just started , so don't think that's it

Quoting USBrit:

You said you had a baby, how old and did the 10 year old issues start with that? Maybe there is an anxiety issue that revolves around insecurity of a new sibling and being left out with parents? I would definitely go to the doctor and see if something is physically wrong and if that isn't it see a therapist for counseling.

momof2cuteboys
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Does he have any OCD behaviours?  I would suggest going to a doctor for sure.

Leigh84
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:22 AM
I would take him to the dr to get it checked out. My YSS11 went through a phase like that but his came and went.
Melina74
by Melina on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

My son had that happen when he was around 10 or so.  It would come back periodically.  Usually stress related.  The psychologist and psychiatrist and his ped said to give him melatonin because they didn't want to put him on anything stronger at his age.  It worked for him.  

Graceplustwo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:51 AM
No, not that I have noticed. He is a very particular person but I deff wouldn't say ocd at all

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

Does he have any OCD behaviours?  I would suggest going to a doctor for sure.

Graceplustwo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Deff think dh is going to talk to his mom about making him an appt. Thanks for all the suggestions. Really appreciated
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)