Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Any working parents with kids in your home full or half time, how do you do it?

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:02 PM
  • 32 Replies
How do you all keep your house clean without a cleaning service? I used to have a cleaning lady come once a week but we stopped her when my DH was unemployed, but we may have to get one again unless someone can tell me how else to do this. I have 3 skids, they are all slobs to be blunt. They are with us every evening after 6pm, overnight, except Thursday night, and we have one weekend a month without them. I leave home at 6am and don't get home until 4:30pm. DH goes to work at 8:30am and gets home at 6-6:30pm. He has to get the kids up and ready for school in the morning by himself so he doesn't have a lot of time to clean up a lot and I pretty much wake up, get ready and go. When I get home I'm pretty beat from my 10 our day, which includes my morning workout, so I like to take advantage of having the house to myself for an hour. But typically I end up having to pick up all the random stuff scattered throughout the house, and clean up the breakfast mess. Before I know it DH and the kids are home and throwing there backpacks and shoes in the entrance and flopping on the couch to watch tv. It's the same routine everyday, I have to tell them to pick up there stuff and go clean their room before they can do anything else. Then I make dinner and clean up after dinner, sometimes with DHs help. It's 8pm by the time I can relax and I still haven't done any real cleaning, just maintenance. So by the time the weekend rolls around the bathrooms are gross (the kids are nasty, sorry) and the house needs a deep cleaning, which we usually do but it sucks t o spend an entire day on this. And at least one weekend a month I am gone s o the house does not get clean and the mess accumulates. DH does try to help but kinda sucks at keeping the house clean, its just not a priority for him. Anyway, advice is appreciated, I could probably afford a cleaner but I know that cant be the only solution.
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sara82lee
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Thise kids need some training about picking up after themselves and doing chores.

Not enough time for them to clean up their own breakfast dishes? Then they need to wake up 20 minutes earlier. Dishes in my house aren't adult responsibilities. Dishes are ALL done by kids. And put away. They're capable, but you'll have to go behind them for awhile and MAKE THEM FIX anything they didn't do right for awhile.

Each kid also needs a DAILY chore, whether that be taking out trash, cleaning the bathroom sink (my kids love anything where they get to use "spray" - any cleaning product), whatever. This will also require your inspection for awhile to make sure they do it to appropriate standards. THEY fix anything that needs to be corrected, not you. Put their daily chores on a chart and post on the fridge. Then, make them stick to it.
Ice-Angel
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:29 PM

No one person in our house made all of the mess, so no one person is responsible for doing all the cleaning. We have a weekly chore chart that goes on the fridge and everyone has something to do. We are a family of six. Everybody gets something and its done. Doesn't take long, nobody feels like it all gets put on them, and I think chores for kids are good. 

Like PP, you will have to do some "training" before they get it right, but will take a load off you and be helpful.

luckystars2012
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM
What Sara said.

Honestly I do have a housekeeper right now, she comes twice a week. But she is doing the stuff that I physically can't do right now being very very pregnant. She deep cleans the kitchen, does the floors, bathrooms etc.

Sometimes there will be a few dishes I'm the sink and she will do them but there's never a lot.

But dd and ss are expected to clean up after themselves at all times. They pick up their rooms, the only thing the housekeeper does in there is the floors. They wipe up their bathroom counters and sink, put laundry in the hamper, etc.they would be facing serious consequences if they didn't do the things expected of them chore wise.
mom2boys664
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Since I am on a break from cleaning, lol, I will respond.  We both work full time, have 3 kids between us (1 mine, 2 his) a boys ages 7,7 &5.  They are also all with us all the time, BM is MIA and my ex is 650 miles away and sees him a few days in the summer. It is hard - very, very hard.  I work a lot, full time and 400+ hours of OT a year, and I have a 1 1/2 hour commute each way. I am also very involved with a women's organization and am gone quite a bit for that.  DH is on call every 3rd week. The kids are in sports and scouts and very active boys (very messy boys too).  All I can suggest is to divide and conquer.  Dh will never be good at cleaning, he does however cook fairly well and will do dishes. He will also help with laundry, although folding and hanging are on me. You need to give dh the tasks he is good at, and let him do them - even if it's not as good as you would.  The kids too - I am limited because they are so young, but they will run the vacuum (with help) and dust (again, with me checking and directing them what to do next) and the biggest thing is what you are already doing - stay on top with maintenance things. If you can get a cleaning person, I say do it - I really need to, and can afford to but I just feel weird about having anyone in my home when I am not here, and dont' want the interruption when I am. Good luck!

annabl1970
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this
If I ever win a lottery first thing I will do is to hire a living-in housekeeper and cook!!!!:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NTMBeth
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:21 PM

A friend of ours said hiring a cleaning lady saved their marriage :)

I have never priced one out but I think I would feel weird having someone clean my home. Knowing me, I would probably "pre-clean" out of embarassment... so that sorta defeats the purpose!

My DH split household chores. I ask my DS9 to make his bed daily and straighten his room biweekly. He doesn't do any other chores, tho. 

OvrMyHead
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:46 PM
I have 4 kids living in the house, DH and I both work. We pay a cleaning service to clean once every other week. That is all I can afford right now, but it keeps me from mopping and cleaning bathrooms. If u could afford every other week, I would do every 3 weeks or once a month. The house gets dirty again about 1 day after the cleaning people come bit at least I know everything was cleaned. I only sweep and clean the kitchen daily.

DH is responsible for putting dishes in the dishwasher every day, the kids empty the dishwasher and the trash. I cook, make lunches, and do 70% of the laundry.

Kids are not allowed to leave their clutter lying around.
OvrMyHead
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:49 PM
I wanted to add that it pays to shop around for a cleaning person. There are a lot of people who are looking for part time work.

Also, if you find done money to put toward hiring someone they don't have to clean your whole house, they can do just bathrooms and floors, etc.
Leigh84
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:03 PM
You're lucky you had a house keeper :-)

I do most of my cleaning on my days off but I make the kids clean up after themselves and I'll give them chores on the weekends like clean their bath room and clean and vaccume their rooms. It helps a lot
Chibi_Kitten
by Krystal on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:48 PM

We do some deep cleaning once a month then just little things to maintain the rest of the month. When things get really out of hand around the holidays and birthdays, we do some deep cleaning once a week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)