Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Unsure how i should feel.?

Posted by   + Show Post
I am looking for some info here on others feelings on this subject.

My husband and i both were previously married, i have three kids and he has one. Well my husbands mom never thinks of my three kids, all she ever calls to have sleep over or see is my husbands daughter. My three are never invited. Here xcuse is that it doesnt feel like a family or close to my three.

Now my husband agrees that we are all family and he has tried to say something to his mom but it gets us no where.. She always says she is doing all she can and says she doesnt know what else she could do.

Even though DH states he told her she needed to include all our kids.

My question is... Is this something that will never change and that we have to just live with. It bothers me more than it does my three kids, my three sY its just how its always been and they arent worried about it.

Will there always be a difference in the kids and should i just stop letting it drain my energy because it will never change?
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Replies (11-20):
soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM
They arent her grandkids she is allowed to feel that way about them.
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I would just let it go.  I would be surprised if it changed. How long have you been together?

jlg12678
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry your mil behaves that way. I'm one of the ones who feels it's shitty to not make an effort and am never a fan of excluding kids.

I lucked out...both my parents and my inlaws have been great this way.

I would let it go. Think of it this way...you don't want your kids spending time with someone who isn't interested in them. Kids know when they are wanted or not as most on here are so prompt to remind everyone. I'd keep my kids away from her if I were you.

bottomline
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I know it has to be hard on you but try to ignore her attitude if possible. I know when you get married you think everyone will put equal effort into becoming a blended family. But that just isn't true.  It's not a reflection on you or your children, it's gma's prerogative.  Don't let her poor decisions drain you.

heather77g
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM

My husband and i have been married 2 1/2 years

Quoting Polkadotted:

I would just let it go.  I would be surprised if it changed. How long have you been together?

amantonacci
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:06 PM
They aren't her grand kids let her spend time with her grand child
whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:12 PM

She considers your husband's child to be her grandchild, but not your children. That is a personal preference, and it is her prerogative. I think you have to accept it. As long as she is not mean to your kids, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. 

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:12 PM

How old are your kids and how old is your step-kid?

Quoting heather77g:

My husband and i have been married 2 1/2 years

Quoting Polkadotted:

pepper504
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Quoting jlg12678:

I'm sorry your mil behaves that way. I'm one of the ones who feels it's shitty to not make an effort and am never a fan of excluding kids.

I lucked out...both my parents and my inlaws have been great this way.

I would let it go. Think of it this way...you don't want your kids spending time with someone who isn't interested in them. Kids know when they are wanted or not as most on here are so prompt to remind everyone. I'd keep my kids away from her if I were you.

This 100%.

heather77g
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Mine are 15 girl, 13 girl and 9 boy
Been married 2 1/2 years

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

How old are your kids and how long have you been married?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)