Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Disappearing Toys Oh My......

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:32 PM
  • 52 Replies

Over the pass month/month half SS has been hiding toys in his book bag or pockets to bring to his BMs house. Some are which aren't cheap. BF understands they are SS toys and should do as he wants. But they never come back and he is starting to run out of good toys at our house he will play with. BF has sat him down and talked to him about this but it doesn't help. When we ask why he does so he just says he doesn't have toys he wants to play with at BMs house or that he wants to show BMs boyfriends son the toys. BF has asked BM several times about the toys and she says she hasn't seen them or gives the attitude like she doesn't care. She never allows him to bring stuff to our house either. We are tired of having to search his bag and pockets every time we send him back to BMs. It shouldn't have to be like that.

What would you do in this situation?

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

How old is he?

You can either continue searching him before he leaves... or... allowing to take his toys to BM's (as long as they are soley his-- not like a shared game system or something) but explain that you guys will not be buying replacements and when he runs out of toys at your house, he's SOL.  

PumpkinSpice8
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:47 PM
I'm sure this is just a phase. Maybe allow him to take a toy but make a rule that him and DH have to agree on the toy he takes. No sneaking toys anymore.
packermom4ever
by Still The Queen on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Let my children take their things and let them learn from not bringing them back.

I'd not  search my children every time they left my home.

Femommy
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:56 PM

He is 10 years old. Which we have a 2 year old little boy too that we were planning to save the toys for him when SS outgrows them.

Quoting AmericanDream:

How old is he?

You can either continue searching him before he leaves... or... allowing to take his toys to BM's (as long as they are soley his-- not like a shared game system or something) but explain that you guys will not be buying replacements and when he runs out of toys at your house, he's SOL.  

Femommy
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:58 PM

They have done this and it never returned nor has SS seen it afterwards. At least that is what SS said. There was one time he said toy broke so BM threw it in trash.

Quoting PumpkinSpice8:

I'm sure this is just a phase. Maybe allow him to take a toy but make a rule that him and DH have to agree on the toy he takes. No sneaking toys anymore.

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I would just let him take them over there. If he misses them at your house, it will encourage him to remember to  bring them back with him.

If they were gifts to him, then they belong to him.

Quoting Femommy:

He is 10 years old. Which we have a 2 year old little boy too that we were planning to save the toys for him when SS outgrows them.

Quoting AmericanDream:

How old is he?

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:11 PM

what are these toys, that you plan to hang on to for 8 years and re-gift?

Quoting Femommy:

Quoting AmericanDream:

How old is he?

Femommy
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:17 PM

They will not be regift it's kinda like clothes "hand-me-downs" I give my brother all my daughters toys she has out grown for his daughter. Kinda what DH and I would like to do for our youngest as well. Toys include monster trucks, WWE guys, skateboards you build yourself, legos sets, transformers, air hogs helicopters, and many others. He has also tried to take his little brothers toys to BMs house as well. His brother got monster inc little figures for his birthday and SS tried to hide them in his pockets. It's just frustrating. 

Quoting whatIknownow:

Quoting Femommy:

Quoting AmericanDream:

How old is he?

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I would just let him take them over to Mom's, and you can just buy your younger son new toys. It's not worth hanging on to old stuff, they may not hold up very well anyway. Pieces get lost, etc. 

Quoting Femommy:

They will not be regift it's kinda like clothes "hand-me-downs" I give my brother all my daughters toys she has out grown for his daughter. Kinda what DH and I would like to do for our youngest as well. Toys include monster trucks, WWE guys, skateboards you build yourself, legos sets, transformers, air hogs helicopters, and many others. He has also tried to take his little brothers toys to BMs house as well. His brother got monster inc little figures for his birthday and SS tried to hide them in his pockets. It's just frustrating. 

Quoting whatIknownow:

Quoting Femommy:

Quoting AmericanDream:

How old is he?

Femommy
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Might sound silly but I held onto my daughters baby toys for six years before they got played with again. I try to save money every chance I get. Toys aren't cheap these days and not everyone makes good money. My kids are lucky to get four things from santa on christmas.

Quoting whatIknownow:

I would just let him take them over to Mom's, and you can just buy your younger son new toys. It's not worth hanging on to old stuff, they may not hold up very well anyway. Pieces get lost, etc. 

Quoting Femommy:

Quoting whatIknownow:

Quoting Femommy:

Quoting AmericanDream:

How old is he?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured