Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Thanksgiving

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:19 AM
  • 42 Replies

What's everyone doing for Thanksgiving, this year?

I'm not sure what we are doing, yet.  It falls during SD's time with dad, CO says they split the day (I think with mom having the evening this year?) but SD has already requested to go to her mom's anyway.  She likes to be there for Thanksgiving so DH will probably just let her go over after school Wednesday and pick her up after work Friday.  It's not a big deal to any of us.  It would be just silly to insist "nope, your mom has to drive over here to get you at 1!"  

As far as us?  I cannot figure out if I want to make the dinner here, go out of town, or what.  If we went out of town we could go right after school Wednesday and come back Friday or Saturday.

Hmmmmmmm.  

Anyone want some company? :P

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Derdriu
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Quoting AmericanDream:

Eating!  A lot.  eating

The SKs are with BM.  My SILs are hosting dinner.  All DH and I have to do is show up with appetites and the appropriate adult beverages.  Life is good!

AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Quoting Derdriu:

Quoting AmericanDream:

Eating!  A lot.  eating

The SKs are with BM.  My SILs are hosting dinner.  All DH and I have to do is show up with appetites and the appropriate adult beverages.  Life is good!

That sounds nice.  I always make my "famous" chocolate pecan pie and bring myself when we go out of town. ;)  But... I don't even know if my family is having a big dinner this year.  I think everyone is kind of doing their own thing.

PumpkinSpice8
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:26 AM
We have DD this year. We will be going to my mom's house for dinner. I believe I am responsible for making mashed potatoes and deviled eggs. I really wanted to make dressing but my mom likes to stuff her bird with it. :/ oh, well. I'll probably make my special cranberry sauce, too.
whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM

My stepkids are going to be with their mother this year. They are supposed to alternate every other year, but they mostly just play it by ear and they don't stick to any particular schedule. We didnt' have the kids last year either, but their mom's mother is dying of pancreatic cancer. She has been sent home on palliative care at this point and has very little time left. So, we all think its best that they spend thanksgiving over there this year.

my kids always go to their dad's, he does a big thanksgiving meal. 

so, this year, DH and I are going to a ritzy hotel in northern NJ, with an unbelievable indoor pool complex, and a fireplace in the suite, and we're doing the 5 course dinner with wine pairing. I have always wanted to go to this place, everyone raves about it, so that is what we're doing! we're spending 2 nights. maybe do some hiking if the weather is nice, and a winery tour/tasting.

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:28 AM

BM is supposed to get the kids on Friday until Thanksgiving at 2.  Not sure how that will work out.

We are going to my Mom's for dinner.  MIL is pissed that I won't come there for the day, but with 1 SS possibly being with his Mom half the day and Dh having to work I'm not going.

runinpinkshoes
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:28 AM

We're not sure what we're doing yet either. The kids are with their mom, and DH and I will both have a long weekend off work, so we thought about going away to see one of our families, but instead we might just be lazy and stay around the house for 5 days. Which would be wonderful! :)

jlg12678
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:42 AM

It is bm's holiday with the kids so they will be with her. Bm wanted us to take them half the time but my dh no longer deviates from the co for holidays as it always up ending to be way too much work on our end to accomodate whatever she is requesting (think driving an extra three hours out of the way to meet on an off ramp in some city at 1am to get the kids for a day and a half).

We are doing Thanksgiving this weekend with my dh's family so the kids can enjoy.

For the actual holiday weekend....we will have Thanksgiving at a restaurant with my family (no mess...no dishes...it's awesome). I do NOT shop on Friday unless it's online so that will be out. More than likely we will just take it easy at home.

progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:59 AM
My uncle is hosting Thanksgiving at his home in Colorado (roughly ten hours away). Even though it's supposed to be BM's holiday year, she's letting us take SS.
progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Have you ever had nutty barley bake? My MIL makes it for Thanksgiving and I love it!

Quoting PumpkinSpice8:

We have DD this year. We will be going to my mom's house for dinner. I believe I am responsible for making mashed potatoes and deviled eggs. I really wanted to make dressing but my mom likes to stuff her bird with it. :/ oh, well. I'll probably make my special cranberry sauce, too.
PumpkinSpice8
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:04 AM
It sounds yummy, but I've never hear if it. What is it exactly?

Quoting progressandjoy:

Have you ever had nutty barley bake? My MIL makes it for Thanksgiving and I love it!

Quoting PumpkinSpice8:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN