Apparently, I got my hopes up more than I realized. *11/13/13 Update*
Where to start... MIL did a complete 180 in her feelings toward me a few years ago, she hasn't liked me at all since but tells everyone she does and makes it seem like I'm the problem and the one who has issues with her. At first, I thought it had something to do with my surgery and the stress it caused her not having me at work for her. After some time passed and consulting with some friends, I think it stems from some bull my family pulled that she blames me for. After all, if it weren't for me, her son wouldn't have been involved at all.
Anyway... long story short, MIL doesn't like me and has been causing issues since because she can. By she can, I mean my husband lets her. She's a perfect angel in his eyes, no matter what. Which is the bone of contention I've had, the real issue I've had the last few years. Last Thursday, the stress of everything just came to a head and I blew up. I admit it was my fault, I'd been bottling things up inside for too long and exploded. I was also stressed about the surgery he had yesterday (which hadn't happened yet at the time of this blow up) so that didn't help. We had a long talk Thursday night, I got a few things out and was able to talk a little bit about how I feel.
We both agreed that things will take time and we'll need to work together but we decided that we were going to make some changes. I was going to be able to come to him for everything, not just things that do NOT concern or involve his mom, and we would work on our communication. We planned things out for his surgery and things ended nicely that night.
Last night, after work, I picked the kids up from his parents and went to see him. We got there right after the morphine kicked in so he was really out of it, we only stayed a few minutes then left. Today, I went up to see him and it was really obvious that he didn't want me there because he was just in so much pain and wanted to rest. I stayed for ten minutes and left.
Stupidly, I stopped by his parents' house to pick up his clothes. MIL said that it would be better if he stayed in the hospital another night, FIL agreed. They also felt that it would be better if someone else drove him home because it's "a long drive." No matter how nicely they put it, the gist of it was that I'm not even a halfway decent wife so it would be better for him to stay in the hospital to recover. I won't take care of him very well, I won't stop the kids from hurting him and I'll hurt him myself bringing him home with how horrible of a driver I am. They decided to take his clothes to him themselves.
This was at 12 30pm. I called his room at 2pm to see how things were going and what the plan was, he said that his parents got there around 1pm and he was still visiting with them but that he wouldn't be coming home tonight because it would be better for him to recover in the hospital, also that he's probably going to have his parents pick him up when the doctor releases him tomorrow.
I'm confused and hurt. I'm confused because I thought... well, obviously I thought wrong. I guess I got my hopes up after our talk about things changing last Thursday, apparently things have not changed. Or maybe I'm just expecting changes way too soon, it's only been five days. I'm hurt for the obvious reasons...
And no, it was already decided before I'd talked to him that I won't be bringing the kids up to see him this evening either. I'm not sure how to explain that to the kids, though I'm hoping to get away with "Daddy is in a lot of pain right now and needs more time in the hospital to recover."
***Update ~ 1/13/13 1 56pm***
I just got permission from MIL to call the hospital and talk to my husband, so I did and let the kids talk to him. After they did, I spoke with him and, according to him, he was unaware of any changes to the decision he and I made for his care upon release. He said the only thing he was considering changing about our decision was who brought him home but that he wanted to talk to me about that first, he thinks having his dad bring him home would be the better choice since his truck provides a smoother ride and his dad is closer to the hospital than I am to go get him.
I told him that I saw and understood their point so whatever he felt would be best for his recovery is fine with me, that I'll support his choice because I want him to be comfortable so that he can recover quickly. He said that he would rather be home, he can take care of himself while I'm at work and the kids are at school. He won't be able to care for the kids by himself until he's mobile again but that won't be an issue since they'll be at school while I'm at work and he's home resting.
He also said he's feeling much better so he hasn't taken as much medication today, therefore he's a lot more lucid now and he's confident he can take care of himself while I'm at work.
Oh, and the reason he hasn't called me is because the hospital phones don't allow patients to call outside of the area code they're in. So he's going to call his dad when he knows what's going on with his release, have his dad call me so I can call his room, then probably have his dad bring him home.