Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Motherly Duties

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:06 AM
  • 243 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm a mom and don't even know what that is supposed to mean.  That and mom of the house.  I'm the mom in my house to my kids, but if other people's children come in to my home I'm not mom of anything except my kids.

So, since I've been at this for almost 13 years and haven't figured out what motherly duties are or what it means to be mom of the house, someone please explain this to me in a manner that doesn't come across as sexist...

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kristinbugg
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:09 AM
2 moms liked this
It means that you're a fool who does everything your DH doesn't feel like doing, for free and you feel a need to give yourself an imaginary title to compensate for your feelings of jealousy and resentment.
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:16 AM
I think that birthing and breast feeding are motherly duties because all of the other things men can do without a woman. There are no motherly duties in my home. I've already fulfilled the list. Except breast feeding. I pumped - I have weird nipples... No feeding for me. Everything else is up for grabs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:29 AM
3 moms liked this

Eh, we don't have "mother" or 'father" roles/duties in our house. We have PARENTING duties.

Tillymommie
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:03 AM
4 moms liked this
Dammit and suddenly now I am trying to picture you nipples in non lesbian way.

Quoting momof2ex1:

I think that birthing and breast feeding are motherly duties because all of the other things men can do without a woman. There are no motherly duties in my home. I've already fulfilled the list. Except breast feeding. I pumped - I have weird nipples... No feeding for me. Everything else is up for grabs.
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:16 AM
I grew up with my mother and my father and whatever parenting tasks they did were motherly duties for Mom and fatherly duties for Dad. I am a mother and DH is a father, in our household, there are certain things that he does that I don't and certain things that I do that he doesn't. Someone is paid to do most domestic tasks in our household, those aren't parenting duties and the rest is split according to preference and schedule.
I am the mother in our house and he is the father.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pero3
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:34 AM

It's the "in our house" that confuses me. I am the mother! In my house, when I'm at work, at 5am  when I muck out DD's horse, at the supermarket ... and when DD is at BF's house. I am the mother!

I remain the mother even on those rare occasions when I rest on the sofa whilst DF cooks DD dinner!

Quoting leegirl_jm:

I grew up with my mother and my father and whatever parenting tasks they did were motherly duties for Mom and fatherly duties for Dad. I am a mother and DH is a father, in our household, there are certain things that he does that I don't and certain things that I do that he doesn't. Someone is paid to do most domestic tasks in our household, those aren't parenting duties and the rest is split according to preference and schedule.
I am the mother in our house and he is the father.

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:40 AM
4 moms liked this

Kissing boo boos if needed. No one does that like your own mom. 

Mom knows exactly how many marshmellows to put in your hot cocoa.

Mom knows that you CAN sleep without that special friend that you left behind at daycare, but still turns around & goes back to get it because she doesn't want you to be sad the rest of the night. 

Mom knows how to make the rabbit go through the loop when teaching you how to tie your shoes. 

Mom knows exactly where the bandaids are when needed even though you thought your little brother used the last one patching up his teddy bear. 

Mom always keeps your favorite color pedialyte in the fridge just in case. 

These may not be "mom duties"  in your house, but it's what I thought of when I think of things only moms can do verses dads.

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:47 AM

breastfeeding?

amantonacci
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Birthing said child

soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:06 AM

We don't have "mother" and "father" duties in our house. We just do what needs to be done. Dh is generally gone for a signifigant portion of the year sometimes up to 15 months at a time. If we had "seperate" duties there would be times that shit didn't get done.

I do have "mommy won't do" duties. I don't do yard work if DH is gone I hire someone lol. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)