Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

And the EX MIL too!!!

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 1:47 PM
  • 90 Replies

I am at a loss for words, but here is the newest

My husband yesterday received a healcare bill for his DD that was sent to his place of employment. Which was sent to his Base Commander at the Air Force Base. This is a healthcare bill for an ear app that took place 3 months ago while  visiting her grandparents in Montana. My husband's ex MIL...They took my SD to the Dr due to her having an earache.

Why was my husband not notified of her Dr app. by either BM or grandma? Why was he NOT notified until the bill is being sent to collections for Non payment? Why was this bill sent by MIL to my husband's place of work and NOT her daughter's address instead? Why did she not run my SD healthcare insurance when taking her in. So my husband will need to pay the entire now and some how get his portion from BM later some how!!

My husband is not trying to get out of the bill, that's besides the point. It's not that much anyways. The point here is MIL took my husband's DD to Dr, doesn't run healthcare insurance card. Which I'm sure she had b/c BM sent their Military ID's with them on this vacation. At the Dr MIL puts the bill in only my husband's name, not her daughters so it can be sent to her address. BM doesn't mention at all that DD went to the Dr while visiting her grandparents and to expect a bill in  the mail. The MIL said she didn't have my husbands new home address and couldn't think of a better place to send the bill other than his work!!! MIL couldn't of sent the bill to her daughter's house and let them figure it out!!! Not to mention, by the time my husband even recieved this bill it's inches away from collections. The problem here is, yest again. He is going to have to pay the entire bill even thoug in the CO it states that BOTH parent's are responsible for 50% of Dr visit's, meds. So then MIL also feels the need to send a rude email to my husbands work email and let him know "he needs to pay this bill" nothing about her daughters portion, just make sure my husband get's his half paid. He's known about the Dr app allof 2 min now!!! Ohhhh I'm wondering who in their right mind automatically brings their grandchild to the Dr and puts the entire bill in ex son/daughter in-law's name? Doesn't run health insurance, then is nasty about getting the bill paid? We are talking about a small amount, but for this MIL to think it's her place to be sending my husband anything at his work, especially a bill. She very well could of sent tis bill to her daughters house, then given it to him. She could of got our new home address and sent it to our house. It's the principle, this isn't the first time either. The BM takes SD to Dr and some ow my husband get's the bill when BOTH of them are responsible to pay half. Not my husband paying 100% of it!! He pays healthcare premium's every month, when does BM have to step up and take financial responsibility? She also sends school lunch invoices for $10 home with the girls expecting my husband to pay. So what does her CS go towards? Demands $40, half of what was spent for school supplies for a 1st and 2nd grader. Right, and that price didn't include for new back packs, lunch pale's and jackets. We bought those too:)

Anyway's sorry just rambling...

by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hissminenours
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 2:05 PM
3 moms liked this
Dispute it with the doctor. He shouldn't be able to charge someone who didn't bring the child and if the child has insurance that should have been used. I would call the office. We have disputed crud BM tried to get put on us successfully.
AtillaTheHun
by facta, non verba on Nov. 16, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd take a look at the CO. Ours states that the parent who creates the bill is responsible to pay the full amount, and is to be reimbursed by the other parent within 30 after providing proof of the paid amount. BM sent the child to spend time with MIL, as far as I understand this, so she is still responsible to pay upfront. If nothing is mentioned in the CO, I'd contact the doctor with BM's and MIL's information, tell them that there is a mistake, you didn't bring the child to see him, and they are the responsible parties to pay for it.
afwife817
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband called the Hospital in Montana yesterday when he got the bill. Billing said they cannot just switch the bill to someone else's name like that. Doesn't make sence, how can you go to a Dr/Hospital and be able to put your bill into someone else's name? The Hospital did run the bill through our health insurance luckily and they took a portion off. We're not talking about a huge remaining balance, but this is not the first time from this family. ughhh 

Every week it's something with this BM grrrr and this week it's my husband's ex MIL

awinters0716
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 2:24 PM
You should be able to give the doctors office the insurance info and have them run it if she was covered by insurance at that time they should cover it whenever its submitted.
afwife817
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, that's exactley it...And that would totally makes sence. The BM has sent the girls to the Dr here and sends my husband the bill so I'm sure she told her mom to do the same!

My husband will need to double check the CO, but when we read it a couple days ago it was worded funny. It said they both needed to split the bill, but I don't recall about them having the other party pay within 30 days with the recipet. That's a really good idea, appreciate the advice. We are going to mediation soon for a handful of other reasons and this just adds to it:( So this is one more thing that will need to be brought up. 

And this is what cafemom was intended for, not to be called names or to be bullied:)

Much apperciated!!

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

I'd take a look at the CO. Ours states that the parent who creates the bill is responsible to pay the full amount, and is to be reimbursed by the other parent within 30 after providing proof of the paid amount. BM sent the child to spend time with MIL, as far as I understand this, so she is still responsible to pay upfront. If nothing is mentioned in the CO, I'd contact the doctor with BM's and MIL's information, tell them that there is a mistake, you didn't bring the child to see him, and they are the responsible parties to pay for it.

AtillaTheHun
by facta, non verba on Nov. 16, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Maybe your husband should send an email to BM and make it clear that this is the last time this happened. I am not sure but I'd find out if that's even legal to put someone else's name on a hospital/doctor's bill. I'd also mention that this wasn't the first time this occured, and he was not even notified that his child was sick and needed to see a doctor. If your CO says that parents have to inform each other about this, mention it as well. That's usually mentioned when parent have joined custody. If you ever have to go back to court, keep the email as proof of what she has been doing, that it was addressed, and she chose to ignore it. You will be able to have her charged for contempt of court.

Quoting afwife817:

My husband called the Hospital in Montana yesterday when he got the bill. Billing said they cannot just switch the bill to someone else's name like that. Doesn't make sence, how can you go to a Dr/Hospital and be able to put your bill into someone else's name? The Hospital did run the bill through our health insurance luckily and they took a portion off. We're not talking about a huge remaining balance, but this is not the first time from this family. ughhh 

Every week it's something with this BM grrrr and this week it's my husband's ex MIL

afwife817
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Yes and they did after my husband called. That part is taken care of now:) We're pretty sure the grandparents didn't bother to show the insurance card b/c they were intending to just send the bill to my husband to pay anyways. They make sure he knows he's a crappy dad, but he's good enough for ALL financial obligation for is girls...

Sometimes I just want to scream at the way he is treated by this family!!!

Quoting awinters0716:

You should be able to give the doctors office the insurance info and have them run it if she was covered by insurance at that time they should cover it whenever its submitted.

awinters0716
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM
I would want to scream also

Quoting afwife817:

Yes and they did after my husband called. That part is taken care of now:) We're pretty sure the grandparents didn't bother to show the insurance card b/c they were intending to just send the bill to my husband to pay anyways. They make sure he knows he's a crappy dad, but he's good enough for ALL financial obligation for is girls...

Sometimes I just want to scream at the way he is treated by this family!!!

Quoting awinters0716:

AtillaTheHun
by facta, non verba on Nov. 16, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Glad I could help :-)

Good idea. It does make sense for the parent who takes the child to pay upfront and send the receipt to the other one. I don't think 30 days are unreasonable either. Also, if nothing is mentioned about informing the other parent about education, health etc, I think you would benefit from having this added as well. What BM is doing sounds simply spiteful. We are talking about the health of the child here, and she needs to stop trying to cause problems for your husband. The fact that MIL did the same thing indicates to me that BM instructed her to do so. Or does BM don't know your home address?

Quoting afwife817:

Yes, that's exactley it...And that would totally makes sence. The BM has sent the girls to the Dr here and sends my husband the bill so I'm sure she told her mom to do the same!

My husband will need to double check the CO, but when we read it a couple days ago it was worded funny. It said they both needed to split the bill, but I don't recall about them having the other party pay within 30 days with the recipet. That's a really good idea, appreciate the advice. We are going to mediation soon for a handful of other reasons and this just adds to it:( So this is one more thing that will need to be brought up. 

And this is what cafemom was intended for, not to be called names or to be bullied:)

Much apperciated!!

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Why would they send your husbands mail to the base commander? The grandmother sent the bill addressed to the base Commander

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured