Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh boy...

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 2:15 PM
  • 20 Replies

There was recently a court hearing to modify DH's custody order so that his DD can go to school.  (The order said that BM was to get her for nine consecutive days a month and BM lives out of state, making it difficult for her to go to school.)  BM didn't show to the court hearing so the Master and my DH proceeded without her.  Because BM didn't bother to show or even inform the Master that she couldn't be there and because my DH and the maternal grandmother provided enough proof of BM's current situation, the nine days are now gone and BM gets two three hour supervised visits a month.  BM was furious and started on her mother saying that she's disowning her and to stay out of her life.  She then started with my DH saying that he isn't his DD's real father and that he should do what he does best and just walk away. 

Today we get a notice in the mail that she's trying to modify the child support.  We haven't received any support since July because she was on medical leave.  She never reported that she was on  medical leave and now owes arrears.  She's trying to drop the support because she doesn't want to pay anything.  Wouldn't it be up to him and not her to drop it though?  Would they even drop it considering everything and that she just lost her portion of the custody?

by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawncs
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 2:35 PM

She is using a common tactic regarding evading child support. Have you thought of subpeonaing her medical records and work records to prove she is on medical leave?

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

HeadKrobe8789
by Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Honestly, no, we haven't thought about it.  I don't know if she was actually on medical leave or not.  What I do know is that she was in a terrible car accident and couldn't work but I don't know her employment outcome from that. 

Quoting dawncs:

She is using a common tactic regarding evading child support. Have you thought of subpeonaing her medical records and work records to prove she is on medical leave?

soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 2:57 PM

What is the reason for supervised visits?

HeadKrobe8789
by Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Her and the people she lives with are unstable and we hear for my SD's safety while she's there.  Also there have been kidnapping attempts along with an actual "kidnapping" in the recent past. 

Quoting soonergirl980:

packermom4ever
by Still The Queen on Nov. 23, 2013 at 3:27 PM

What's "the Master?"

HeadKrobe8789
by Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Like a judge I guess. 

Quoting packermom4ever:

What's "the Master?"

AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 4:22 PM

That was going to be my question but you answered it already.

I can understand being pissed about going from 9 days a month to six hours with a supervisor, but that's her own fault, I suppose, for not showing up where she should have been to plead her case.  Obviously, 9 days in a row doesn't work LD with school ageded children so she should have expected a modifaction and been there to work for what she wanted.

As far as CS-- she very well could get a reduction or modification because of being out of work but that is up to the courts... or CS enforement... what have you... not her OR him.  And, they won't stop CS completely, she's still responsible for supporting her child ...

Quoting HeadKrobe8789:

Her and the people she lives with are unstable and we hear for my SD's safety while she's there.  Also there have been kidnapping attempts along with an actual "kidnapping" in the recent past. 

Quoting soonergirl980:

HeadKrobe8789
by Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:28 PM

She only owes like $400 in arrears.  Her problem is she doesn't want to pay that or anything in support.  Her arrears wouldn't have even got up if she would have reported that she was out of work due to an accident (which she didn't). 

Quoting AmericanDream:

That was going to be my question but you answered it already.

I can understand being pissed about going from 9 days a month to six hours with a supervisor, but that's her own fault, I suppose, for not showing up where she should have been to plead her case.  Obviously, 9 days in a row doesn't work LD with school ageded children so she should have expected a modifaction and been there to work for what she wanted.

As far as CS-- she very well could get a reduction or modification because of being out of work but that is up to the courts... or CS enforement... what have you... not her OR him.  And, they won't stop CS completely, she's still responsible for supporting her child ...

Quoting HeadKrobe8789:

Quoting soonergirl980:

HopesNDreams
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Your DH can counter file for support to go up to reflect the change in custody. His increase in time would result in higher support. Is BM out on disability? Short term or long term? How long has it been since her accident?
HeadKrobe8789
by Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:09 PM

We've been informed that she filed because she wants to stop the support altogether.  We've been told that only the parent with custody can stop it and he has no intentions on doing so.  He does, however, plan on doing what you said and seeing if he can get a little more.  In retrospect, we have no idea why there's even going to be a court hearing with all of this mind.

I'm not sure if she was actually out on disability.  There were so many different stories about her accident that we don't know which to believe.  She told us that she was driving drunk and swerved to avoid a deer.  The cops say that the way she swerved looked intentional and that they suspect that she was trying to commit suicide.  Either way she couldn't collect anything because no matter how it was spun, it was intentional.  All I know is that she never reported her temporary loss of income to Domestics.  Her accident was in early-mid July and she's been back at work for about three weeks now. 

Quoting HopesNDreams:

Your DH can counter file for support to go up to reflect the change in custody. His increase in time would result in higher support. Is BM out on disability? Short term or long term? How long has it been since her accident?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured