Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Has this happened to anyone?

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 1:29 PM
  • 32 Replies

So my DH is always on time with child support and always pays the amount he is supposed to. Well the past few weeks BM has been harrassing us non stop because she has still not received child support. We checked and it had come out of the account weeks ago. 

So he called yesterday to find out what was going on, turns out we just need to fax in proof of payment and everything will be fixed. But we come to find out he has been paying a $105 more than he was supposed to for the past 3 years but was just notified about it last week!

The lady advised him not to make anymore child support payments until they can figure out what is going on and that the overage may be coming back to him, which woud be quite a lot of money if that is the case.  We are both very confused about why he was never notified and also how BM is gonna take this when they notify her this is all going on, which I'm sure won't be good. 

I'm just curious if any of you have been in a similar situation and how it all played out.

by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
malinda74
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope, never had happen but I'd be careful about not paying CS. What lady told him not to pay?
faerie75
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM

id continue to pay but i would request that money overpaid be taken out of future payments. or you could just ask that the correct amount be taken out and figure he went above and beyond for that amount of time.

Kyko26
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM

He just called the ORS number and talked to someone from there. Child support is paid for this month so I guess we won't really worry about it until next month. I just hope we can get this all worked out without BM blowing up at us for something that wasn't even our fault.

Lalasmomma13
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Yes. DH continued to pay and then when the courts figured it out he got a huge chunk back. I wouldn't risk not paying just in case.
AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Quoting faerie75:

id continue to pay but i would request that money overpaid be taken out of future payments. or you could just ask that the correct amount be taken out and figure he went above and beyond for that amount of time.

I agree with this. I would continue paying while they sort it out, who knows how long that could take... and the kids still needed to be supported, in the meantime.
jules2boys
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Never been in this situation but I wouldn't 'not pay until this is figured out'.  That could come back to bite DH in the backside.  I'd keep paying what he's been paying while the 'real' amount is calculated and changed.  Then he can pay a lower amount until he's 'caught up' and then begin paying the regular amounts. 

If it's truly a mistake somewhere, something that wasn't DH's fault, it's also not BMs fault, and she's not likely to have known and just kept that money set aside to pay him back right away (in a lump sum).  That's a bit much to expect IMO. 

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

how the hell could the amount be adjusted without him knowing?!

KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
This is why my ex pays me directly. It goes straight from him to me without a middleman.
Leigh84
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 2:51 PM
When BM had custody DH paid her directly it was very easy.

I would keep paying. When they sort it out they can give DH his chunk back. At least he knows his ass will be covered that way.
DDDaysh
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Wait?  Are they saying that the amount ordered is too high for his current income, or that they have been transfering more money than they should have been per the order?  

Has BM been getting the money?  Has she gotten a payment this month?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)