Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

O/T-- But Check It!

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 8:05 PM
  • 10 Replies
2 moms liked this

by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Nanowrimo!?!

Awesome! What was your novel about?
AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Yes Ma'am.  :)

Just hit the 50,300 in my last work count check today so I figured... Get that crap validated before my computer explodes (we have bad luck like with electronics in this house!)

It's about a girl whose family was part of a cult where the original member basically sold them to the demonic leader of the cult.  Thefamily has a long line of boy and girl twins and every time the new babies are born the older twin girl is sacrificed on the same day and if that doesn't happen the demon will come after every single other member of the family.   When her mom is pregnant with her second set of twins she learns about the cult and is trying to figure out a way to prevent herself from being sacrificed while also saving her family.

It's... strange... I just sort of started writing on November 1st and that's where I ended up... 

It's not quite finished and needs a lot of editting... but I'm pretty proud of myself.  I've attempted Nanowrimo the last three years but always gave up way shy of the 50,000 words. :)

Quoting progressandjoy:

Nanowrimo!?!

progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:05 PM
That's so awesome!

I've been to the website and I browse the forms often, but I've never participated. I have a solid idea, but I just can't get the words out. I keep rewriting the same paragraphs over and over.

I always think about it mid-November, but I always feel it's too late to begin.

Do you have plans for your novel, or was it just a personal project?

Quoting AmericanDream:

Just hit the 50,300 in my last work count check today so I figured... Get that crap validated before my computer explodes (we have bad luck like with electronics in this house!)

It's about a girl whose family was part of a cult where the original member basically sold them to the demonic leader of the cult.  Thefamily has a long line of boy and girl twins and every time the new babies are born the older twin girl is sacrificed on the same day and if that doesn't happen the demon will come after every single other member of the family.   When her mom is pregnant with her second set of twins she learns about the cult and is trying to figure out a way to prevent herself from being sacrificed while also saving her family.

It's... strange... I just sort of started writing on November 1st and that's where I ended up... 

It's not quite finished and needs a lot of editting... but I'm pretty proud of myself.  I've attempted Nanowrimo the last three years but always gave up way shy of the 50,000 words. :)

Quoting progressandjoy:

Nanowrimo!?!

AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Just a personal project.  I've always said I'm going to do it.  I have a few friends and family members that want to read it so I might let them when it's "done" or at least... sort of ya know... done...

And it's never too late to start.  I did the majority after the 15th.  I started but had a lot going on the first half of the month.  The point is to get the story out.  There are no real "rules" about it but you're not really supposed to edit you go.  I did a bit... but focussed on getting the story on paper. I have some notes jotted down when I've been churning out and realized something earlier in the story doesn't quite work or make sense any more.  Now I get to fine tune it.  It's been a blast, actually.

You should totally go for it next year!

Quoting progressandjoy:

That's so awesome!

I've been to the website and I browse the forms often, but I've never participated. I have a solid idea, but I just can't get the words out. I keep rewriting the same paragraphs over and over.

Quoting AmericanDream:

Quoting progressandjoy:

Nanowrimo!?!

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Congrats!

I keep thinking about trying this, but I haven't made it anywhere.

soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 10:43 PM

It sounds interesting! I wanna read it. Congrats!!!!

progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM
I just might!

Editing is my biggest downfall though. When I was in highschool, I took a creative writing class. I was supposed to submit fifty pages of a novel, but I only had ten because I kept going back and rewriting the prologue.

That's really cool that you were able to finish though! When did you work in it (just a few minutes here and there, or did you plan a few hours of uninterrupted writing time everyday)?

Quoting AmericanDream:

Just a personal project.  I've always said I'm going to do it.  I have a few friends and family members that want to read it so I might let them when it's "done" or at least... sort of ya know... done...

And it's never too late to start.  I did the majority after the 15th.  I started but had a lot going on the first half of the month.  The point is to get the story out.  There are no real "rules" about it but you're not really supposed to edit you go.  I did a bit... but focussed on getting the story on paper. I have some notes jotted down when I've been churning out and realized something earlier in the story doesn't quite work or make sense any more.  Now I get to fine tune it.  It's been a blast, actually.

Quoting progressandjoy:

That's so awesome!

Quoting AmericanDream:

Quoting progressandjoy:

Nanowrimo!?!

malinda74
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Congrats! :)
AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:39 PM

At night after the kids were in bed and first thing in the morning while they ate breakfast. I was exceptionally tired last month... I usually don't stay up that late on a regular basis.

Quoting progressandjoy:

I just might!

Editing is my biggest downfall though. When I was in highschool, I took a creative writing class. I was supposed to submit fifty pages of a novel, but I only had ten because I kept going back and rewriting the prologue.

That's really cool that you were able to finish though! When did you work in it (just a few minutes here and there, or did you plan a few hours of uninterrupted writing time everyday)?

Quoting AmericanDream:

Quoting progressandjoy:

That's so awesome!

Quoting AmericanDream:

Quoting progressandjoy:

Nanowrimo!?!

AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Thanks!

Quoting malinda74:

Congrats! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured