Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

thinking about getting SD a phone for xmas but we dont want BM using it herself instead of paying for her own.

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 4:37 PM
  • 19 Replies

She has done this in the past when we used the phone cards you buy for a month or so.  no way of tracking things to see if she was. BM is notorious for not paying her phone and just using others.  which is fine until she tries to use the one DH and I pay for.  I know i can monitor her usage if we put her on my plan, but other than that i am not sure there is anything i can do to keep her from using it, this might just be one of those things that you have to deal with and just be pissed about.  the reason i am asking on here  is if anyone knows of any apps or tricks that might help me get some control of it.  DH and I do want her to have one and dont want to punish her for her moms lack of responsibility.

by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baparrot2
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 4:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Don;t buy a phone. Find another gift.

malinda74
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't think there is a way to control what happens at moms house and I'm not sure you should try. It won't end well.
Buy a phone for SD and let go of the BM control or don't buy SD a phone.

TLCGH
by New Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 5:00 PM

yeah already was pretty sure that was out of my hands,  mostly was just hoping there was a way. 

Rhodin
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Maybe an Ipod with phone and SMS apps.  They won't work unless there's wifi around, so BM can't just up and take it like it's a regular phone, unless she plans on exclusively going to places with wifi (restaurants mostly, and probably SD's school)

Stephie849
by Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Get one with parent controls. So your sd can only call and text who you allow her to.
opal10161973
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I found this on eHow.  It might give you some options.  GL

http://www.ehow.com/how_5852525_track-cell-phone-usage.html

Chibi_Kitten
by Krystal on Nov. 30, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I simply would not buy the phone or get one of the expensive ones that only allows calls to be made to/from specific numbers.

zannahdeux
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:54 AM

How old is the child? Beside the firefly which only has three buttons to call mom and dad no real wayof stopping her...I would suggest you ask bm to contribute to the phone like 10 dollars a month because this is a saftey issue and she will use it at both houses. Get an unlimited plan so you won't be charged if she goes over the minutes but at least this way you don't feel you are being taken advantaged of.

otherwise there are apps on the iPod or iPad that will allow sd to text without a phone plan. 

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not sure how this works, but if there is a phone or app that allows you to put the numbers in, that is a good idea. She can put all her friends' numbers in, you can see who these friends are, and that way the phone can only be used to call those people (her friends, and her parents, grandparents, and whoever else, but only people you allow).

I dont' know if this would work but it's a possibility. and it's not a bad idea to keep tabs on who she calls anyway, regardless of the mom issue.

Quoting Stephie849:

Get one with parent controls. So your sd can only call and text who you allow her to.

jlg12678
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I personally wouldn't buy the kid a phone if you can't trust it going over to the other home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN