Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Ot-Needing some support and prayers, ladies. mIL is in jail :(

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 8:41 PM
  • 22 Replies
My mil is mentally ill and has been hospitalized for it a couple times. Saturday she snapped, burned a ton of stuff- clothes, towels, even fil's tools.
The cops got called and she fled. Ended up wrecking into a couple cop cars and is now in jail awaiting trial for two felonies. Needless to say, things are a bit stressed.... Dh is crushed because his mom is in jail. FIL just retired and isn't sure if he can afford all this without going back to work...

I don't want her to just get away with what she did by any means, but I really pray she can get some long term mental help.
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amantonacci
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Mental illness sucks! Good luck! 

dawnnamarie
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Thank you. I feel so bad for Dh. He's completely overwhelmed and feeling helpless. But there's really not much we can do until she sees the judge Monday :(

Quoting amantonacci:

Mental illness sucks! Good luck! 

AtillaTheHun
by facta, non verba on Nov. 30, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Oh wow. This is a tough situation for your family. I hope everything will work out, and your MIL will get the help she needs.
Boobear110
by Audra on Nov. 30, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I'm so sorry for all of you. MIL included. It's so hard to deal with mental illness. I have just been inducted into hall of mental illness myself recently. My SO mom is mentally ill. 

dawnnamarie
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Thank you. I just pray that Dh can eventually have his mom back. My mom has taken to playing mom to him, but it's still hard on him.

The day we got married, she wouldn't even answer a phone call from him to say congrats:(

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

Oh wow. This is a tough situation for your family. I hope everything will work out, and your MIL will get the help she needs.
dawnnamarie
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM
It sucks for everyone involved. I hope your mil gets help before she progresses too far =/

Quoting Boobear110:

I'm so sorry for all of you. MIL included. It's so hard to deal with mental illness. I have just been inducted into hall of mental illness myself recently. My SO mom is mentally ill. 

AtillaTheHun
by facta, non verba on Nov. 30, 2013 at 11:03 PM
I didn't know she was acting that way. Did she not approve of your relationship, or what do you think made her behave like this? Her illness? It must be awful for your husband. :-(

Quoting dawnnamarie:

Thank you. I just pray that Dh can eventually have his mom back. My mom has taken to playing mom to him, but it's still hard on him.

The day we got married, she wouldn't even answer a phone call from him to say congrats:(

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

dawnnamarie
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 11:22 PM
She's a paranoid schizophrenic. She doesn't leave the house... It's not that she hates me or anything.

We think this latest breakdown was from her mom passing away last month. MIL wouldn't even leave to go to her own mother's funeral. :( it's just rough on everybody. She's basically there but not, if that makes sense. She doesn't really have conversations or anything. She just kind of would wander around the house doing odd things. :(

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

I didn't know she was acting that way. Did she not approve of your relationship, or what do you think made her behave like this? Her illness? It must be awful for your husband. :-(

Quoting dawnnamarie:

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

AtillaTheHun
by facta, non verba on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Ugh, that's an awful illness. I am surprised she isn't on meds already?! Patients with this illness can be unpredictable to say the least. How long has she been like this?

Quoting dawnnamarie:She's a paranoid schizophrenic. She doesn't leave the house... It's not that she hates me or anything.

We think this latest breakdown was from her mom passing away last month. MIL wouldn't even leave to go to her own mother's funeral. :( it's just rough on everybody. She's basically there but not, if that makes sense. She doesn't really have conversations or anything. She just kind of would wander around the house doing odd things. :(

Quoting AtillaTheHun:I didn't know she was acting that way. Did she not approve of your relationship, or what do you think made her behave like this? Her illness? It must be awful for your husband. :-(

Quoting dawnnamarie:Thank you. I just pray that Dh can eventually have his mom back. My mom has taken to playing mom to him, but it's still hard on him.

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

dawnnamarie
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:38 AM
She's been on meds for about a year. They haven't helped at all, and she refuses to go back to the therapist like she's supposed to.

She's been slowly declining for about 10 years, but the past 4 have been the low point. She refuses treatment though, and technically nobody could make her get help if she didn't want if. Fil has been fighting for guardianship so he could force her to get treatment, but it's been a battle.

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

Ugh, that's an awful illness. I am surprised she isn't on meds already?! Patients with this illness can be unpredictable to say the least. How long has she been like this?

Quoting dawnnamarie:She's a paranoid schizophrenic. She doesn't leave the house... It's not that she hates me or anything.

Quoting AtillaTheHun:I didn't know she was acting that way. Did she not approve of your relationship, or what do you think made her behave like this? Her illness? It must be awful for your husband. :-(

Quoting dawnnamarie:Thank you. I just pray that Dh can eventually have his mom back. My mom has taken to playing mom to him, but it's still hard on him.

Quoting AtillaTheHun:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)