Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Breaking baby talk at 7 and 8

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM
  • 58 Replies
So my SD's when I met them were baby talking half the day away. I thought it was very odd behavior since I see children daily, and I never see kids past 1st grade doing that. I'm not sure why that went on as long as it did, but it's just about gone. My youngest SD 7 though, still does it sometimes, why is that so annoying lol?
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:38 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't know why you find it annoying. Maybe you can just leave the room?

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I can see it being annoying in other people's children.  When my DDs go to baby talk, my bio filter kicks in.

afwife817
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Ya sometimes that's an option except my SD's follow me in every room I go in :) Ever since I mentioned to them they are way to old for the baby talk, it's gotten much better. It's just a phase, they'll out grow it. Just funny when it's not coming from a toddler.
momof2cuteboys
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:43 PM

There was a girl in the middle school class that I observed in and she did the whole baby talk thing.  Drove me crazy.  She mainly did it with the boys and with the teacher when she was in trouble.  Maybe look at what happens before and after she talks that way.

afwife817
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM
It would be just as annoying with my own child, but he didn't baby talk 1st- 2nd grade either.

Quoting pdxmum:

I can see it being annoying in other people's children.  When my DDs go to baby talk, my bio filter kicks in.

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I agree, this is when a biofilter comes in handy.

If it bothered me though, I'd just say to the kid "enough with the babytalk already, it's driving me nuts." That is, *if* I thought they were doing it deliberately (similar to using an acccent, or imitating a character's voice).

I remember being in grade school and my friends and I went through a baby-talk phase where we all thougth it was funny or cute to talk baby talk. I remember my father telling me to stop because it was annoying to him. 

Quoting pdxmum:

afwife817
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Wow middle school. No, they do it just at random times in the day. Not when in trouble or anything else. Just during play with eachother for the most part. When I met these girls it was how they communicated often lol hum

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

There was a girl in the middle school class that I observed in and she did the whole baby talk thing.  Drove me crazy.  She mainly did it with the boys and with the teacher when she was in trouble.  Maybe look at what happens before and after she talks that way.

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:49 PM

So you really don't know if it would be annoying or not since your DS never did it.  Other people's kids, even skids you love, will be more annoying than our bios.  The key is to understand that.

Quoting afwife817:

It would be just as annoying with my own child, but he didn't baby talk 1st- 2nd grade either.

Quoting pdxmum:

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM

When it does bother me with DDs (and they are 17 and 19 and still do it occasionally to be silly) I just say I can't hear them and to use their strong voice.

Quoting whatIknownow:

If it bothered me though, I'd just say to the kid "enough with the babytalk already, it's driving me nuts." That is, *if* I thought they were doing it deliberately (similar to using an acccent, or imitating a character's voice).

I remember being in grade school and my friends and I went through a baby-talk phase where we all thougth it was funny or cute to talk baby talk. I remember my father telling me to stop because it was annoying to him. 

Quoting pdxmum:

afwife817
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:55 PM
I don't refer to the girls as the kid they would be crushed. I just tell them when I hear the baby talk to not do that. They are to old to talk like that. Speak like little ladies not baby's:)

Quoting whatIknownow:

Quoting pdxmum:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)