Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

makes me sad

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:48 PM
  • 13 Replies

So, this is just a little bit of a vent:

I recently found out that my StepSons step-brother has been committed to a childrens hospital and I find myself feeling very sorry for this child. Both my SS's have been to this facility when they lived with their mother and they shouldn't have been. I worry that this other child is being subjected to the same psychological abuse that my SS's were.....I know it's not my concern, nor is it something I should worry about, but I can't help it, my SS's are around this child (well, they were until he was committed) and I worry what they think about it or how it makes them feel and I know it's not my place to talk to them about things going on at their mothers house. Anyways, I'm not sure I'm really expecting anyone to say anything, I just don't have anyone to talk to and my husband doesn't like talking about the stuff at his ex's house because most of it he can't do anything about, and I understand and accept that, but I still need to get it out of my head sometimes.

sad

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Silent_Sea
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:53 PM
This obviously is a mental facility?

I would be sad too. It alway makes me sad to see kids struggle. They shouldn't have this sort of stress or sadness. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovelymomma87
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Yeah, it's a Childrens Hospital, and they have a psych ward.

I agree, kids shouldn't have struggles that require that type of treatment if it can be helped. 1 example: My second oldest SS was taken there, by ambulance, because he put his hand over his newborn half-sisters mouth to get her to stop crying. Supposedly his 350lb mother and a PCA couldn't contain him....he was 5. That child was so distraught by the addition on his mothers side (oddly enough though, he handled my first daughter just fine, wanted to protect her and everything, and she was born FIRST), it was so sad..... 

Quoting Silent_Sea:

I would be sad too. It alway makes me sad to see kids struggle. They shouldn't have this sort of stress or sadness. :(

DeliteCrazy
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:26 PM
I've worked in places where it took a lot of staff members to restrain a child.

Weight has nothing to do with it.

Quoting lovelymomma87:

I agree, kids shouldn't have struggles that require that type of treatment if it can be helped. 1 example: My second oldest SS was taken there, by ambulance, because he put his hand over his newborn half-sisters mouth to get her to stop crying. Supposedly his 350lb mother and a PCA couldn't contain him....he was 5. That child was so distraught by the addition on his mothers side (oddly enough though, he handled my first daughter just fine, wanted to protect her and everything, and she was born FIRST), it was so sad..... 

Quoting Silent_Sea:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:44 PM
No joke. 350lbs doesn't mean one is strong. In fact - I quit working out a while ago and gained a few pounds. Lordy mercy - I was feeling ancient. I started working out again and man it has just been kicking my arse. I find when I've got some extra pounds - ands I'm not talking about 200 lbs I'm only talking about 10-20 ... I'm not very strong. In fact I feel sluggish and lethargic. I can't imagine how I would feel with an additional 200.

Quoting DeliteCrazy:

I've worked in places where it took a lot of staff members to restrain a child.

Quoting lovelymomma87:

Quoting Silent_Sea:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DDDaysh
by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

If things are as horrible in that house as you say, wouldn't the child be better off in the hospital? 

zannahdeux
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Wait has this woman sent all her kids to this facility? Both your skids and now their half brother? Let's hope someone at this facility is paying attention to a woman who keeps committing her kids....

DDDaysh
by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 10:00 AM

It sounds like social services has already been involved in this situation. 

It might be a serious problem in the home, but it might also be "real".  The skids are bio-siblings and might share the same genetic predisposition to serious outbursts.  And if they get that predisposition from BM then, as they say, "like calls to like".  If BM has major mental health issues, SF might as well, and if SF has them, there's a decent chance of his kids having them.  Clusters like this are usually not "coincidences" but that also doesn't mean they aren't real situations. 

But, like I said, if the situation in the home is that bad, it sounds like a good idea for professionals to be involved.  Being in the hospital gives social services a chance to evaluate the situation. 

Quoting zannahdeux:

Wait has this woman sent all her kids to this facility? Both your skids and now their half brother? Let's hope someone at this facility is paying attention to a woman who keeps committing her kids....

lovelymomma87
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Trust me, in that situation, it wouldn't need more then 1 adult to restrain him. He was 5 years old and maybe 45lbs soaking wet. I'm aware that weight doesn't equal strength, but in this situation, she was fully capable of subduing him. She escalated it and there was no need to have him carted away, restrained in an ambulance.

Quoting DeliteCrazy: I've worked in places where it took a lot of staff members to restrain a child.

Quoting lovelymomma87:

Quoting Silent_Sea:

lovelymomma87
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I don't believe so, the child shouldn't be locked up for behavior that's probably being instigated by this woman. But I do believe that the kid doesn't belong in the house.

Quoting DDDaysh:

If things are as horrible in that house as you say, wouldn't the child be better off in the hospital? 

lovelymomma87
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 10:55 PM

BM does have have mental issues, Bipolar, but the SS in my example wasn't and isn't bipolar. As for the child in my original post, I don't know what his mental state is or that of his father, but just by looking at this kids, it's clear there are developmental issues. I know there real situations where children need hospitalization, but this wasn't one of them in regards to my SS, as for the other child, like I said, I don't know his situation personally, but I do know what my SS's mother is capable of and it would not surprise is she was creating an environment that made this child go off the deep end. 

A little of this kids back story: His father moved him and his sister hundreds of miles away from their friends and family and married a woman with 6 kids that he only knew a few months before making all these changes.

Quoting DDDaysh:

It sounds like social services has already been involved in this situation. 

It might be a serious problem in the home, but it might also be "real".  The skids are bio-siblings and might share the same genetic predisposition to serious outbursts.  And if they get that predisposition from BM then, as they say, "like calls to like".  If BM has major mental health issues, SF might as well, and if SF has them, there's a decent chance of his kids having them.  Clusters like this are usually not "coincidences" but that also doesn't mean they aren't real situations. 

But, like I said, if the situation in the home is that bad, it sounds like a good idea for professionals to be involved.  Being in the hospital gives social services a chance to evaluate the situation. 

Quoting zannahdeux:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)