Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

naming a child after a step

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 8:57 PM
  • 19 Replies
My son is named after my dad and my step dad.

My dad was a grate dad from age 0 to 5, 9 to 11 and 17 to 24.. Current. The ready of the time, he was not involved at all.

My step dad has been a consistent dad, since I was 12.

He loves me like his own daughter, and my kids like his own grandkids.

My sons first name is jonas after my step dad and his middle name is Daniel after my dad.

I have had a few people, mostly family, tell me that out is disrespectful to my dad.

I don't really care. My step dad never walled away, even when my mom left him when I wad 17 for my bio dad.

I just thougjt it would make interesting conversation.

Do you think it is disresoectful to name a grand child after a step parent over an semi involved bio parent
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
....ClvrScn.
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 8:58 PM
And again I am using Swype, so please dint mind the random words.. Stupid phone
....ClvrScn.
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 8:58 PM
And again I am using Swype, so please dint mind the random words.. Stupid phone
buttercup627
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 9:13 PM
I hate when people think a person should give respect just because of their relations. A man that can disappear from their child's life doesn't automatically get respect Imo.

If a step parent was special to youi see no reason why you can't honor them. It's like naming your child after a very good close friend
whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I don't know, I don't  have any stepparents.

I don't really like my name, so I hope no one names their kid after me.

AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Not disrespectful at all.  Because it was the child's choice. Yes, of course you are a grown woman now but at once you were a child.  Your SF loved and cared for you and obviously left a pretty great impression on you. :)  You are an adult and were not forced/coerced/guilted into the name...

As another thought: I have not seen my biodad since I was 3 months (and only once then).  My dad (actually SF... but dad) has been actively in my life since I was 3.  I wanted to name my first (were she a girl) Nathanael Patrick.  Patrick was BF's name.  I never even stopped to think about it until I mentioned something to my mom and was like... wouldn't that be weird?  Um, probably.... Good thing DD was a girl. Mom hated her name but I loved it and gave it to her!

Leigh84
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 9:21 PM
I think that's nice your son is named after your SF too. I let my son call my SF g-pa. I lost my father when I was 12 and SF has been in my life since I was 15. When I feel my son is old enough to understand I'll explain things to him. My SF is a g-pa to my son so I see no reason why not
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 9:44 PM

DS is named after my step-dad. His name is they share the same middle name. My step-dad IS my dad as far as I'm concerned.

My BD was never a part of my life and was never a father to me. I'd never consider naming my child after him.

All of my bio-children are named after someone special.  

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 10:09 PM

As an adult, a grown assed 51 year adult, I get to choose my family.  I get to decide who made a difference in my life and who was just there.  I never thought to name a son after my dad.  Never had a son but if I had, one of the names would have been my grandfather.  

Not out of respect, but out of love.

More than anything, I wish people didn't feel the need to judge your choices.

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 10:12 PM

We named DS after DH's SM... kinda. Her middle name was Ann so we wanted part of his name to have Ann as a syllable.

Tillymommie
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I think in your stitch, its not really. Now I do have a friend who got his HS GF pregnant. They broke up before son was born. She started dating someone else. They had agreed on a name Connor (something) After he was born Bm decided Connor Gene. Why asked BD, oh I like it better says BM. OK. A few years later BM and BF go to court over custody. Bm's BF takes the stand, and states his full name. BF (first name) Gene (last name). Yeah BD was pissed and I think in that case was very disrespected.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)