Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

HPV vaccine

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 5:28 PM
  • 33 Replies
Is it a vaccine you have/or will get for your child? Is it a vaccine that should be discussed between both parents before getting? Thoughts????
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that it should be discussed between both parents. I, personally, will not be getting this particular vaccine for either of my girls and DH agrees.  There's just too many risks and they outweigh the good.  I got the vaccine and then had two miscarriages afterwards. I  never put the two together (they were early and that was the last thing on my mind...) but I recently read an article that there is a link between the vaccine and fertility issues/miscarriages. That's a big risk, IMHO. 

leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I won't be getting it for DD, I don't think its benefits outweigh the risks. DH and I are married but that decision is mine to make but we would discuss it, in a similar situation with DS, I would allow DH to make it (I think).

Career Woman, Wife and Mother of Two Children, a Girl and a Boy.

Pero3
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 5:47 PM

This! When we were offered the vaccine, BF said "this is a woman thing, you make the decision". I opted for DD to have it! SM was never consulted! It isn't a woman choice, it's a mother's choice (provided the father doesn't have any preferences). But yes, we did discuss (BF and I, that is).

Quoting leegirl_jm:

I won't be getting it for DD, I don't think its benefits outweigh the risks. DH and I are married but that decision is mine to make but we would discuss it, in a similar situation with DS, I would allow DH to make it (I think).

CrunchMaMaBear
by Queen Crunch on Dec. 9, 2013 at 5:51 PM
nope. im cool off that. I like to keep my daughter natural
AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Why would anyone discuss it with SM? That's something I'm not even going to discuss with my Mom or favorite Aunt. Well, I might talk about it with friends who have girls... but not in an asking sense.... just a general discussion. BM got SD the swine flue vaccine. I did not get my DD it but like anything else, not my business how anyone parents their kids. It's not just a BM/SM thing. I did the research and made a personal decision for MY children. I assume all parents do the same. Now, I do think BM should have discussed it with DH, as he was against it, but what's done is done.
Quoting Pero3:

This! When we were offered the vaccine, BF said "this is a woman thing, you make the decision". I opted for DD to have it! SM was never consulted! It isn't a woman choice, it's a mother's choice (provided the father doesn't have any preferences). But yes, we did discuss (BF and I, that is).

Quoting leegirl_jm:

stepmommy2
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Just to be clear I was asking about biological parents discussing this. I was not including step parents.

amantonacci
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I will let her dad know what I've decided after I've concluded my research and give him a chance to express his opinion.... 

kristinbugg
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:13 PM
No. DH and I have discussed and our daughters will not be getting the vaccine.
stepmommy2
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:15 PM

DH recently found out that BM had both boys (age 13 & 12) vaccinated for HPV.

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I think that the BPs should discuss and have a really good understanding of any vaccine.

In our case, the parents decided to do the HPV vx.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)