Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

step kid chores?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:10 PM
  • 33 Replies
Do your step kids have chores at your home either custodial or non . If so what kinds, do they get allowance? If no, do your bios have chorse but sk don't?
Just for a good convo :)
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this

none of the kids (my ft bios, or skids) have a set list of chores. we just tell them to do things as needed. they get things they want or small amounts of cash as needed.

CrunchMaMaBear
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:13 PM
My step kids have no chores over here. I personally think they should, they are here more than half the time, but not my place to implement. They are old enough to wash dishes, vacuum, pickup exc, but again if hubby doesn't feel they should, then I mind my own business and have hubby clean up aftee them. I plan on having my baby do chores when she's older for an allowance
shekyram
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:13 PM

DS and SS's all have chores, they are posted at the beginning of each week on the refrigerator.  They get allowance but when we see that they have to be reminded of their chores or made to do them over we will hold their allowance.  And this goes for bio son and 2 SS's. 

CrunchMaMaBear
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Ya I think just a basic hey can you do the dishes as a chore. Not a set strict list of everyday chores. My sk never clean anything lol

Quoting faerie75:

none of the kids (my ft bios, or skids) have a set list of chores. we just tell them to do things as needed. they get things they want or small amounts of cash as needed.

momof2cuteboys
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is here one week on and one week off.  We all have chores.  He used to get upset about it but he knows we are a family and family takes care of each other.  We don't give an allowance... maybe in the future. DH and I are still trying to work that out since we are of different minds.  I was never given an allowance and he was.  

shekyram
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Quoting CrunchMaMaBear: My step kids have no chores over here. I personally think they should, they are here more than half the time, but not my place to implement. They are old enough to wash dishes, vacuum, pickup exc, but again if hubby doesn't feel they should, then I mind my own business and have hubby clean up aftee them. I plan on having my baby do chores when she's older for an allowance

I just want the opinion of others on this topic because I hear it from both sides.  I know it's best to let DH set the discipline for their children and we should follow their lead.  But would it be wrong to tell the children to do chores even if DH does not say anything?  They are not being punished by us but being asked to do what they should....clean up behind themselves.  In our home I discipline as does my husband with either child it just depends on who seen the infraction........SS's do live here and this works for us not saying everyone has to do it though.

raerae725
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:22 PM

No set list for any of them.  I keep trying, but it doesn't seem to work.  My fault not theirs.  SD does more cleaning than all three DS's do combined.   She is the only one I never ask to clean since she will start doing stuff with out promting.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:22 PM

i tell SO to tell his own kids, well except ss5 he throws shit everywhere and i will tell him to pick it up. but its his own mess lol

Quoting CrunchMaMaBear: Ya I think just a basic hey can you do the dishes as a chore. Not a set strict list of everyday chores. My sk never clean anything lol

Quoting faerie75:

CrunchMaMaBear
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:27 PM
I don't see a problem with asking to clean up a mess THEY made, but I'm more talkind anout household chores. I ask them to put away the movies they took out, or pickup their clothes they left in the hallway but I don't say anything about household chores

Quoting shekyram:

Quoting CrunchMaMaBear: My step kids have no chores over here. I personally think they should, they are here more than half the time, but not my place to implement. They are old enough to wash dishes, vacuum, pickup exc, but again if hubby doesn't feel they should, then I mind my own business and have hubby clean up aftee them. I plan on having my baby do chores when she's older for an allowance

I just want the opinion of others on this topic because I hear it from both sides.  I know it's best to let DH set the discipline for their children and we should follow their lead.  But would it be wrong to tell the children to do chores even if DH does not say anything?  They are not being punished by us but being asked to do what they should....clean up behind themselves.  In our home I discipline as does my husband with either child it just depends on who seen the infraction........SS's do live here and this works for us not saying everyone has to do it though.

whatIknownow
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Custodial here.

They have no real chores. They don't get a regular allowance but have opportunities to earn cash (vacumming, yard work, etc.).

It was the same for my biokids (who are now adults).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)