• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

disciplining

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:56 PM
  • 63 Replies
How do I discipline my husband's children? I sound like a broken record!!!
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peachaz1
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this
YOU DONT!! You're not their mother only their mother/father need to discipline them!!
Tigress22304
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Quoting peachaz1: YOU DONT!! You're not their mother only their mother/father need to discipline them!!

really?! I discipline my stepchildren when necessary.

Tigress22304
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

For the most part-let Dad deal with the disciplining. it'll work out better for you.

I discipline my  step kids-only because BM and DH allow it. I do not physically touch them in any way to hurt them.

What I do is a near death experience for the kids.....I take away electronics!

And yes, that is all I need to do to get the kids in line.

Timeouts, writing sentences/apologies/manual labor-that didn't work. Withholding ipods/laptop wires/router plugs-thre was even a time when I shut off the electric in the entire house to prove my point.

And yes-I do this with my own child.

kristinbugg
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Simple: DON'T.

Let their parents discipline.
jules2boys
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:29 PM

How old are the kids (your kids (if you have them) and your Skids)?  How long have you been the SM/been in the kids lives?  What role does DH want you to take in disciplining his children?  What is the custody arrangement (How often are the children in your home)? 

On the surface, I'd say you don't discipline your DH's children but, sometimes it depends on the level of your involvement in their lives compared to their bio parents and the expectations. 

Taylor5kids
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:30 PM
How old are your skids?

Quoting Tigress22304:

Quoting peachaz1: YOU DONT!! You're not their mother only their mother/father need to discipline them!!

Tigress22304
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Quoting Taylor5kids: How old are your skids?

Quoting Tigress22304:

he's 7 and she's 12-I've been with dad since ss7 was 9months old.

When we moved in together-BM and I got together and I asked what was okay/not okay and we went from there. Basically I asked her what I was allowed/not allowed and it works for us.

shekyram
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:40 PM

In our home I have full range for discipline as does my husband with my bio child....we feel like just because they have another parent they cannot act up in our home.  But you need to do what works for your household and if your husband backs you that's what it will be.  I'm the CSM and I don't have separate boundaries because I have to think about how that affects my bio 12 and 1 year old(when he can understand).  It's very important for my DH and I to show fairness in our house so if they do something or the bio does something it holds the same merit.  What is your DH's take because that is what truly matters?

progressandjoy
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Does your DH back you up? How does he feel about you disciplining his kids? How does BM feel about it? How old are the kids?
JTROX
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I disciplined them the same as our kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)