Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

She is such a pleasure, I'm going to miss her

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:40 AM
  • 14 Replies

My sd11 is such a pleasure to be with. She only visits on Christmas break and for the summer. My DH travels to spend a weekend with her once a month (she lives over 800 miles away).

This morning, my DH and her were leaving to make the trip home. When she was hugging me and saying good bye, I could tell she was crying, which made me cry. She always has such a hard time leaving and it breaks my heart for her. I whispered to her and said don't be sad sweetie, let's be glad for the time we have together, I'm so happy that you were here and you are coming back in a few short months. Gave her a kiss on the forehead, walked her into the garage and kissed my husband goodbye. Then once they were both in the car, I closed the garage door and started crying like a baby. 

We had such a good time over Christmas break. She fell in love with "her" new horse, she spent time with her older step sisters, she had a couple sleepovers here with my grandkids. Her and my dh made their annual double batch of chocolate chip cookies and then they made hot pretzels, it's a christmas tradition. We took everyone to a NBA basketball game one night, she loved that! She saw Frozen in 3D the other day. We all just have had a great time the last week and a half.

I am exhausted. I'm sure she is too. Time will pass quickly, May will be here before I know it. Just a different perspective from a step mom.

by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EricaG87
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:02 AM

I cried when dropped SD off on her last day of summer parenting after last summer. We get her every other weekend and every other holiday and 6 weeks in the summer so it was hard knowing we would be going from having her for weeks at a time to only seeing her a couple weekends a month. I can only imagine how it would feel going for months at a time!  I lay next to DH when he talks to her on the phone and listen to her little voice because I miss her when she's gone. 

Boobear110
by Audra on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Aww that's so sweet. I miss my SD when she goes on vacation with her Mom. It was 10 days last time.. I know not as long as your time.. But it's the most I've ever been away from her.. 

I hated it. Her Mom wouldn't let me speak to her while she was gone.. It was high anxiety for me until she came back

progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:52 PM
2 moms liked this
Aw.

I remember taking SS to school for the first time. I was excited, because I was suddenly going to have a lot of free time and I was really looking forward to it.

I was in tears before I got back out to the car. I spent the whole day wishing he back at the house, hanging out with me.

It would be really hard to have such a long break inbetween visits.

);

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 12:40 AM
1 mom liked this
That's is so sweet! Sounds like you had a fabulous time. And made some great memories.

Time does go fast. It will come before you know it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrunchMaMaBear
by Queen Crunch on Jan. 5, 2014 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this
That's sweet, sucks you guys barely see her
liz1432
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

that is a sweet story. maybe one day i will be on that end.......one day

thecircus8
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 10:53 AM
It is really sweet! And it sucks that its so long between visits. I also get anxious (well for good reason) when. SKs are gone. Do you guys get to talk to SD, or Skype?.
Sept-babies2
by Patriot's Fan on Jan. 5, 2014 at 11:45 AM
I'm sorry..but she will be back before you know it. I guess i'm lucky that i get to see my sd every day now. There was about a month this last year when we only got her every other weekend. Bm couldn't handle it so she moved closer and now she never has sd. My ds and sd love eachother. They do fight but just like brother and sister do..like i did with ny brother. Both of them miss the other. I feel when sd is here our family is complete. I'm sorry you don't get her as much..but sounds like you all had a very good visit with her.
Frustrated10
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Thanks and yes it is long in between visits. My DH usually talks to sd several times a week with Facetime on the phone. I don't usually initiate texts or phone calls, I wait to hear from her. I don't feel like it is my right to intrude when she is home with her Mom. I never want to appear as a threat, because I'm not a threat. So I maintain my distance when she isn't here and make sure she enjoys herself when she is here.

Quoting thecircus8: It iMys really sweet! And it sucks that its so long between visits. I also get anxious (well for good reason) when. SKs are gone. Do you guys get to talk to SD, or Skype?.

thecircus8
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this
That's an awesome SM right there.I do the same thiing but we are custodial its a bit different. If the kids have a bday or holiday while they are gone DH calls and we all talk to them. Well usually anyway. Current sitch is different. .

Quoting Frustrated10:

Thanks and yes it is long in between visits. My DH usually talks to sd several times a week with Facetime on the phone. I don't usually initiate texts or phone calls, I wait to hear from her. I don't feel like it is my right to intrude when she is home with her Mom. I never want to appear as a threat, because I'm not a threat. So I maintain my distance when she isn't here and make sure she enjoys herself when she is here.

Quoting thecircus8: It iMys really sweet! And it sucks that its so long between visits. I also get anxious (well for good reason) when. SKs are gone. Do you guys get to talk to SD, or Skype?.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)