Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Well this is going to be fun. >:(

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:28 PM
  • 34 Replies

The kids' spring breaks are different weeks. 

Stepkids' spring break is going to be the week before Easter and we get them that whole week, which means they will be going back home on Easter OR possibly the day before Easter. DD's spring break is going to be the week AFTER Easter. 

So how am I going to convince DD to get up at 6:30 am and get ready for school outside of the bedroom and GO to school for an entire day duing the week that she knows her step-siblings are staying home. We don't get to see them very often (just major holidays and summers) and she adores them, she isn't going to want to leave them...so this is going to be a fight every day to get her to school. Actually, I'll have to get ALL the kids up and make them walk with us up to the school every morning. And then my DD's spring break is going to be lonely without them. =( 

I wish the stepkids' school was on the same schedule as my DD! Would be so much easier for them all to have break the week after Easter, then it wouldn't screw up our Easter plans as well. Boooo. 

by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:31 PM
Totally different situation. However. This last summer was the first time that I left my dd home alone. She is 7th grade can't go to daycare old enough to be home alone.

My son on the other hand was only 5 at the time and still had to go to daycare. We just explained to him he had to go to school and she was on break. That he would get to stay home like that when he gets older. So for your dd you get to remind her that she will have all week next week off and she will get to stay home then.

Make the evenings fun if you can. Stay organized so that she stays organized.

There isn't anything you can do to change the situation. So you might as well make the best of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Taylor5kids
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:49 PM
Maybe I'm just in a mood tonight, but this post got me all uptight. This is the kind of situation that we find ourselves in frequently and all it does is cause frustration all the way across the board. SD13 & SD11 try acting completely helpless when it comes to making themselves a sandwich for lunch, yet they are old enough to stay at home and not be woken up early when I have to take my DS9 to school. It's a battle with pretty much anything when they are on break and staying with DH.
Sarahb21
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:50 PM

:( I'm sorry. My SS's spring break is always a different time than my DS's. It's frustrating.

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:52 PM

It sucks. My SD is (HERSELF) in two different schools. In the morning she goes to the regular town high school and in the afternoon she goes to a special dance program at a regional high school. When the schedules don't coincide we get gyped out of no-school days. We couldn't plan a spring break vacay on account of that.

What can you do. Just tell the kids that their siblings go to a different school.

jules2boys
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 7:59 PM

I don't have this problem but I can sympathize just a small bit (really kinda OT).  ODS15 is in an EC with kids from all over our area (not a school sport).  Even his BFF who lives less than 5 miles from us, but in a neighboring school district, doesn't have the same spring break off.  One school is the week before, one is the week after.  His BFFs mom and I are frustrated by it too, because the boys can't hang together or go to extra practices together or anything over break. 

Like I said, OT/not quite the same, but I feel the frustration. 

AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:12 PM

That sucks.  Down here the HS have academy/advanced studies programs. All the HS are regular High Schools that you go where are as zoned but they also double as academies for different areas of study.  One is Math and Science, there's an IB program, legal studies, STEM, Visual/Fine Arts..etc.  You can just go where you are zoned or apply and test into an academy.  You get your specialty AND the HS work all in one place.  SD is in the Visual and Fine Arts Academy for dance.

As an OT... how's your weather up there?

Quoting whatIknownow:

It sucks. My SD is (HERSELF) in two different schools. In the morning she goes to the regular town high school and in the afternoon she goes to a special dance program at a regional high school. When the schedules don't coincide we get gyped out of no-school days. We couldn't plan a spring break vacay on account of that.

What can you do. Just tell the kids that their siblings go to a different school.

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:13 PM

pretty warm and foggy right now. Not too bad. 

Quoting AmericanDream:

AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:14 PM

While it does suck, it really is a fact of life.  Just make sure they have time to spend together after school. 

AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:18 PM

That's good. :)

We had one of the coldest afternoons in my area EVER on Monday and I always feel for anyone who lives farther north than I do when the temps drop!

Quoting whatIknownow:

pretty warm and foggy right now. Not too bad. 

Quoting AmericanDream:

WickedPissah
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:01 PM
It will give your dh time to spend with just them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)