Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

What the kids know

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:37 PM
  • 29 Replies

It surprised me today that YSD (7) did not know BM's last name.

by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
djohn13
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:42 PM
I cant remember if I knew my mom's last name at that age she was just mommy. But It important for emergency purposes, so I see your point.
amantonacci
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:44 PM
Did he assume it was his last name?
amantonacci
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:44 PM
She I'm sorry

Quoting amantonacci: Did he assume it was his last name?
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:45 PM

No, she knew it wasn't that. She was trying to fill out the cookie order form and didn't know.

littlesheep7
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:46 PM
I don't think my 4 year old knows we have different last names. My 5, 7 and 8 year old's do. They call each other by their full names all the time when they're being jerks.
Lorena
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:46 PM
Does sd live with you or Bm? Bm kept dh last name, but the step kids know bm maiden name as well as mine. They know what bm last name will be if she marries this new guy. We think it is important for them to know all 4 of our full names and mine and bm maiden names.
I didn't even know my Moms first name until I was 10. All my friends called her mom because that was what I introduced her as to them.
amantonacci
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:49 PM
Weird... My 4 year old is positive her middle name is her last name, I think she just learned our last names are different but she wouldn't know what mine is.. My ds and I have the same last name so he knows it

Quoting Polkadotted:

No, she knew it wasn't that. She was trying to fill out the cookie order form and didn't know.

littlesheep7
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:50 PM
Also, *I* didn't know one of my kids' birth mother's names until just recently. She is on nothing except his birth certificate and I had never seen it written or heard anyone say it. He has met her but I doubt he knows her full name, either.
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:50 PM

She lives with us. Sees BM once per year.  We send BM things and fill out the envelope and they get packages from her... but now that I think of it she writes mommy with no last name on her return address.

Quoting Lorena: Does sd live with you or Bm? Bm kept dh last name, but the step kids know bm maiden name as well as mine. They know what bm last name will be if she marries this new guy. We think it is important for them to know all 4 of our full names and mine and bm maiden names.
I didn't even know my Moms first name until I was 10. All my friends called her mom because that was what I introduced her as to them.

Lorena
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:53 PM
That would be why. She has never had to know it or even hear it.

Quoting Polkadotted:

She lives with us. Sees BM once per year.  We send BM things and fill out the envelope and they get packages from her... but now that I think of it she writes mommy with no last name on her return address.

Quoting Lorena: Does sd live with you or Bm? Bm kept dh last name, but the step kids know bm maiden name as well as mine. They know what bm last name will be if she marries this new guy. We think it is important for them to know all 4 of our full names and mine and bm maiden names.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)