Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Age Appropriate Humor?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:03 AM
  • 54 Replies
Hi ladies we recently had my sd, 8 y/o, up for Christmas vacation and overall we had a great time. There was a comment/joke that sd made an d idk if it was something that it normal at her age to joke about andb it's been kind of bothering me.

My dh has Celiac's disease which is an allergy to gluten and he's pretty sensitive to it. He won't go into anaphylaxis or anything crazy but he will get sick for several days and sometimes a week. My sd knows about it; we've explained it to her and answered her questions every time she asks why he eats a different pasta or bread than the ones the family eats.

Well we were at the mall and sd asked for pizza for lunch which we told her was fine. Then she tells me we should ALL have pizza and I would say maybe another time since this restaurant doesn't have gf pizza for her dad. To which she insists that we should feed dh the regular pizza so he gets sick. I asked her why she would want that and she said it would be funny...I asked her if she liked it when she was sick and if she thought that was funny and she replied no.

Now I LOVE humor and comedy! But I don't ever remember thinking making other people sick was funny :/ is this normal age appropriate humor or am I right feeling put off?
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baparrot2
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:06 AM

She's 8. Wouldnt put much more thought into that. Actually , it kinda sounds like she was trying to bond with you over making fun of dad but retracted when she saw you werent biting.

daddysgf
by and that's all on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:07 AM
4 moms liked this

Completely age appropriate. 

8 year olds are selfish little humans who find the weirdest things funny.

buttercup627
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:16 AM
I want to let it go as some I'll attempt at a joke but it was really creepy how she said it.

Quoting baparrot2:

She's 8. Wouldnt put much more thought into that. Actually , it kinda sounds like she was trying to bond with you over making fun of dad but retracted when she saw you werent biting.

AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:17 AM

I guess I'd really have to have heard it in context to form any real opinion on it, however, in our house we have odd senses of humor and lovingly pick on each other, a lot.

baparrot2
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Try not to look at it as "creepy". She hasnt developed a filter like an adult has. Doesnt mean anything. Chances are like I said, she was just trying to engage you. to have something that was only between you two.

If it were me I would have bit right into that and joked right back. like, "OMG....your dad will be on the potty for hours! maybe we can go get our nails done during that time?" LOLOLOLOL!

It's what she was likely looking for from you. I only say that, because when you didnt respond in kind, she had the where with all to say no. But you likely deflated her humor bubble. She wont be trying that on you again.

Quoting buttercup627: I want to let it go as some I'll attempt at a joke but it was really creepy how she said it.

Quoting baparrot2:

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if only you are willing to listen. - Jimmy Buffet
Taylor5kids
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:32 AM
Yeah. I agree.

When I was that age I frequently stuck both feet in my mouth in my attempts to be funny. I was born to be sarcastic and full of funny, but it took me a good while to learn how to be that way without putting the feelings of others at risk. She's probably just trying to fit it, and thought that was a good inside joke for you and her to have.

Hey. If it were my SD's, I would joke all day long about feeding my DH bad pizza if it meant that they were actually talking to me. Lol.

Quoting baparrot2:

whatIknownow
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

It's normal. I wouldnt' worry about it. Kids are weird.

LyndaLoo78
by Skeletor on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:49 AM
Okay, first, Celiac is not an allergy but an auto-immune disease (I have it). Second she's 8, it is age appropriate. Kids find anything bathroom/potty related funny. Mainly because they are weird, and gas, diarrhea and things like that all equal hysterics to an 8 year old.
buttercup627
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:53 AM
I feel bad for bursting her bubble but I work in emergency medicine and I really don't think it's funny to make people sick.

I'm glad everyone is saying this is normal though lol. We've had a lot of changes in the past couple years (both us and bm) and I know she's also starting to get to the age wwhere she's doing some significant changing and growing. I was just worried that it was overwhelming her and causing her to change in the negative sense

Quoting baparrot2:

Try not to look at it as "creepy". She hasnt developed a filter like an adult has. Doesnt mean anything. Chances are like I said, she was just trying to engage you. to have something that was only between you two.

If it were me I would have bit right into that and joked right back. like, "OMG....your dad will be on the potty for hours! maybe we can go get our nails done during that time?" LOLOLOLOL!

It's what she was likely looking for from you. I only say that, because when you didnt respond in kind, she had the where with all to say no. But you likely deflated her humor bubble. She wont be trying that on you again.

Quoting buttercup627: I want to let it go as some I'll attempt at a joke but it was really creepy how she said it.

Quoting baparrot2:

soonergirl980
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like her attempt at a practical joke which is 100% normal for a child her age. She would not have the logic or understanding of daddy getting seriously sick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)