Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

I am THAT BM

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 1:54 PM
  • 218 Replies
5 moms liked this

I am that BM that would make many a SM I have seen in here freak out on a DAILY basis. 

I don't do PTA.  I don't sit down and DO homework....ever.  I will help with issues as my kids have them.  It is their homework.  Not mine.  I don't feel they learn anything if I am sitting there coaxing them through it.  I DO however check the parent portal for grades and attendance at least twice a week. 

I don't clean their rooms.  I didn't make the mess. If they are living in a shit hole, they can fix it or it stays. 

I don't bake for their classes.  Hell, who am I fooling, I don't bake.  I just don't want to.  When I do, it is magical, I just don't feel like it when I have the world's best bakery less then 3 miles from my home.  If I did, the schools don't allow it anyways. 

We eat out a lot.  When I cook, my kids don't have to eat what I cooked.  They can make themselves something else.  Food battles are a no.  Some weeks I don't go to the grocery store.  Why?  Because DH takes the kids to the corner store/deli for breakfast before school every morning, I stock pile their lunch food they pack and I keep snack stuff stocked for DD after school.  DS goes to Learning Bridge after school, he doesn't need snacks.  My freezer is full.  If I know I am going to have a crazy week, I don't bother with dinner groceries at all.  I will get home and look around and say screw it, lets go eat.

I drink occasionally.  I'm not talking get drunk all the time.  I'm talking I had a 12 hour work day where I did 24 hours worth of stuff.  I need a martini.  My kids have watched me make it, and drink it.

I co-sleep with my 11 and 15 year old's when my husband is not home.  The kids would probably want to sleep with me all the time if the bed was bigger.  I grew up like this.  We are all a fairly cuddly bunch.

I watch The Walking Dead with the kids and don't restrict much.  They know right from wrong, watching a scary movie won't change that.  They don't have nightmares.  Never have. 

Feel free to discuss how as my kids SM would you feel.  I am interested in how some of you people get the feelings you do about things BM does that does not concern you.

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amantonacci
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 1:55 PM
Me too!
FreedomTruth
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 1:57 PM

If that makes you a horrible BM, then I am right there with you.

venessaw04
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Im right there with you, we are pretty flexable.  As long as they are doing good in school and not disrespecting our kids dont have much rules.  Yes i let them watch tv and play xbox and the tablet.  I let them eat junk food if they want.  The dont have a bed time just as long as they wake up every morning i go to wake them.  

Dh and I like to drink, and usually have a few beers each night. We curse, but like you said the kids know wrong from right.   Im a bm and sm full time Im sure lots of people dont run their house as we do, but thats ok cause it works perfect for us :)

pepper504
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Eh, as a BM, I am basically the same way with DD16. 

Although, I do have to say, I love to cook.  Bake, ha, no. But cook, yes.

packermom4ever
by Still The Queen on Jan. 23, 2014 at 2:11 PM

You and I are so much alike. 

Minus the Walking Dead.  Even the still pics give me the heebie jeebies.

And the baking.  I hate it, but I make my kid's food if they are going anywhere due to food issues - so a birthday party?  They bring gluten free, egg free brownies.  School parties?  We have special permission to bake for them as it usually isn't allowed.

iSMILEheCRIES
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 2:11 PM
Will you adopt me?! Your kids got it good. I think you are doing good in my book (I disagree on the food battles but hey to each their own!).
ms_amanda
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Whatever works for you! But, keep in mind, children will not learn unless they are taught. But your kids are big enough to know so I agree about cleaning their rooms and such. I'd be careful with the diet tho. Eating crap too much could cause a lot of health issues through out their lives. I know a few people that ate nothing but junk growing up and they now poop through a bag in their stomachs!

You sound pretty much like my kids bm lol and I love her. She is cleaning up their diet tho because my 13 yr old step son had blood in his stools and is high risk for getting colitis. The skids know our rules are a bit more strict here and they've adapted to it and love coming here. And they know that if they need help with school stuff or clean laundry or anything, we are a phone call away. So we all make it work!

charleyangel317
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I would love to have you as a sm. You I could handle.

packermom4ever
by Still The Queen on Jan. 23, 2014 at 2:16 PM

The way my children and I communicate would drive some SMs batty. 

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 2:16 PM
3 moms liked this

We eat pizza once a week.  BM tells the kids I am a horrible person for this and I need to learn how to cook so I stop feeding her kids shit. This actually just happened last night.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN