Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Parenting differences?

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 6:25 PM
  • 40 Replies
Before marriage did parenting styles get discussed? Did you fall hopelessly in love with a man who parents very different than you or did you purposefully get together with a person similar to yourself? Are you ok with you parent your kid your way and I will parent mine my way? Are you trying to force your superior ways on him?

by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faerie75
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

no they were not discussed. SO parents somewhat differently but it is differences that i can live with... its actually opposite of what everyone complains about in here. he is stricter and i am more laid back. lol

we each parent our own kids. we will verbally correct each other's kids but the actual discipline is done by the parent. both of our sets of kids are respectful of the step parent (well sometimes ss5 doesnt listen but, hes five)

GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 6:31 PM
So this works well for you? Yes? It seems so anyways.

How would you react if your spouse tried to force you to parent different than you do, more like him?

Quoting faerie75:

no they were not discussed. SO parents somewhat differently but it is differences that i can live with... its actually opposite of what everyone complains about in here. he is stricter and i am more laid back. lol

we each parent our own kids. we will verbally correct each other's kids but the actual discipline is done by the parent. both of our sets of kids are respectful of the step parent (well sometimes ss5 doesnt listen but, hes five)

ChelseNichole
by Chelse on Feb. 3, 2014 at 6:42 PM

My SO and I didnt like sit down and have a discussion about parenting. First off...he was a parent and I wasnt...so its not like we could compare parenting styles. For the most part, I agree with the way he parents. I actually think he is sometimes a little "soft" when it comes to the boys. This just comes from my example which was my dad and he did not play around. I do correct the kids when they are misbehaving....and I do implement time outs for YSS when he needs them. 

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 6:54 PM

yes, it works well most of the time.

i wouldnt like it. i sort of suck at parenting but my kids arent serial killers so i guess i am doing ok, lol.

Quoting GlockMom: So this works well for you? Yes? It seems so anyways.

How would you react if your spouse tried to force you to parent different than you do, more like him?

Quoting faerie75:

Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Feb. 3, 2014 at 6:57 PM
My dh and I parent differently. Some things are the same. I'm not sure if mine is culturally different or what. I feel it is sometimes.

I got the "good" things he does and I utilize them w my dds. My dds are FT. He is "dad". I don't mind the way he parents them. Something's are WAY diff. But not bad.

I believe kids should go outside if punished. He believes in sending them to their rooms. I think that's nonsense. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I forced my superior ways on him and he forced his superior ways on me. Now we are a good blend.

Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this
The skids are still respectful to me. And my dds are to my dh.

I might add: I'm a yeller, do a chore and get out of my face sandal throwing Bm. My dds and skids see nothing wrong with this. Lol. My dh just goes about his day. It's been good for us- this method.

Our baby girl will be raised the same way;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KarmaBusDriver
by ChiefBottleWasher on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Yes we had an in depth discussion on parenting. If we didn't see eye to eye on all the major issues, it would have been a deal breaker for me. Even though I am not their parent, I had to know what I was getting into.

when DH and I met, I was perfectly happy being single. Considering it was both a second marriage for us, neither one of wanted to emesh our lives together if we weren't compatible in all the areas that mattered to us. 

Leigh84
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:09 PM
No, we didn't discuss parenting styles. I didn't have kids so I didn't have a parenting style. We were married 7 yrs before ds was born. We have very similar parenting styles when it comes to ds. Sure sometimes I may have a diffrence in opinion when it comes to the sk's but hey, not my deal. I can't tell him how to parent his other kids. It's not an issue for us.
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this
DH and I parent similarly however in some ways he is far too strict but he is open to listening when I say 'back off'. We are a good balance, some times his strict way is needed and other times my more laid back approach is needed, in some areas I am the strict one. We discussed this before marriage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)