Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Picky Eater

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:28 PM
  • 30 Replies

Any suggestions on  getting what I feel  is the most pickiest eater ever  to be excited about trying new food  with out having a melt down?  My SS  is very picky the only things we can get him to eat are  PIzza, spaghetti  no sauce  and  Chicken fingers.   It seems we have tried everything  and he wants nothing to do with  new foods .  and it is like pulling eye teeth to get him to  eat   I never had this problem  with any of the other kids  just this one .  We tried to get him to eat a brownie  he  tasted it and cried because it was still on his tounge   HELP

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jules2boys
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:38 PM

How old is he?  Is a food battle really a hill to die on?  Is he still growing? gaining weight? learning?  If his doc isn't concerned about his eating habits, is this really something you want to have a battle of wills about? 

I've had the worlds pickiest eaters before.  BOTH of my boys were at one time.  ODS15 spent nearly 3 solid years eating nothing but grilled cheese sandwiches for 3 meals a day.  He'd eat fruit on occasion but wouldn't touch a veggie to save his life.  I tried all sorts of things to get him to eat other foods but he would have nothing to do with it.  I took him to the doc numerous times about it.  She finally told me 'look, he's growing, getting smarter, learning, and it's not stunting anything - he's staying on the same growth curve (height and weight) he's always been on (90th and 95th percentile), so clearly this isn't harming him.  Eventually he'll try new things, but for now, I'd rather he eat grilled cheese for 3 meals than skip meals.'    So, I did that. 

And, about the time he turned 5.5 he asked for a burger.  I almost threw him a party!  Now?  He eats everything and he's not afraid to try anything new!  But, I didn't make food a battle with him.  It still isn't. 

YDS11 isn't quite as brave as his brother, yet anyway, but he went through a period of chicken nuggets being the end all, be all food. (YUCK!) and ketchup was his only veggie.  Then, he too outgrew it!  Now he WILL try things more often, his pallet has expanded greatly, he has friends of various ethnic backgrounds and when he eats at their homes he WILL try new foods there too!  I couldn't be happier!  Does he like/try everything?  Nope, but then, neither do I!  He has a variety of fruits and veggies that are his 'go to' foods now, along with other healthier foods too. 

Food just isn't/wasn't a battle I was willing to have with my kids. 

AmyB118
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:45 PM
DD15 has a food texture issue. She doesn't care for ground meat bc of the way it feels in her mouth. She will occasionally eat a burger or meatball but it's rare.

I disliked crunchy and slimy at the same time. Like celery in tuna salad. The mixture made my skin crawl. Lol. Now I like it but as a kid mom always made my tuna and potato salad first bc I'd eat them. Just not with crunchy stuff in them.

Has anyone asked him why he won't eat certain things? I heard it takes 10 tries to decide whether you actually dislike something. I've never made a big deal concerning the things she doesn't like. Consequently she's tried asparagus many times ( I love it and eat it like crazy during it's "season"). Now she will eat it 1/2 the time I make it
DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't fight it with him.  Encourage, but don't push.  You know when kids are crying over brownies that you're not going to get anywhere, so why keep fighting it?  

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:46 PM
2 moms liked this

make dad feed him. make dad fix him something else if he doesnt like what you made.

i make every attempt to make things the skids will like while they are there, as i dont want to waste food, but ss5 never wants what is made. not my problem. SO either makes him eat it or fixes him a noodle.

owl0210
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:48 PM
This is good advice. I'm not a short order cook lol.

Quoting faerie75:

make dad feed him. make dad fix him something else if he doesnt like what you made.

i make every attempt to make things the skids will like while they are there, as i dont want to waste food, but ss5 never wants what is made. not my problem. SO either makes him eat it or fixes him a noodle.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whatIknownow
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Just make food for your family and let him eat or not eat.  I would not worry about it. It's not a battle worth fighting.

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:59 PM

DD is 7 and is a very picky eater, and I often let her make her own sandwich if she doesn't like what I've made. She has issues with texture and flavor though, so a lot of her food issues are related to that.

If your SS's parents aren't concerned, then there's not really a lot you can do. Make a meal, and he can either it it or not. If he doesn't eat it, then your husband gets to figure his kid out.

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:24 PM

How old is he?

leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Sounds like my DD6, I encourage new foods at each meal but I don't make it a battle.

packermom4ever
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:06 PM

My 12 year old can't have "regular" spaghetti, only rice or corn pastas...but she's never had sauce on it.  

All kids are different.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)